News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bolsterdrive Valve Boost Pedal

Started by PaulL, May 16, 2017, 10:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulL

Designed from scratch but built into a gutted Behringer VT999. Only the case, power switch and jack plugs remained.

Went for a bit of a gothic theme with this. The face is lacquered inkjet paper, the side lacquered wall paper - I obtained a sample from the local B&Q. Still perplexed as to who exactly would want black leather-look wall paper - different strokes I guess.

All thats left is to make the valve guards and and replace some components where I had to use multiples because I didn't have the values needed to hand. Took it into the friendly guitar shop and the guy thought it was great, so well chuffed.

This is it coming to the end of the build and before decorating the case.

Valves are 60/30L2 which are surprising good valves. Gives about 35dB of gain full out.

jimilee

Daaaaaammmmnnn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Rockhorst

That's some electrolytic you've got there  :o

PaulL

Made a couple of valve guards

Just got to work out how to attach them. Maybe some of those super-strong magnets??

culturejam

All around pretty neato.

I gotta say, I've never seen that many resistors in parallel before. Kinda reminds me of bananas.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Philthy

Grand on many levels. Kudos to you.

PaulL

I've been playing with this for a while and it sounds great, but there is an issue that is the circuit will oscillate at full volume. Below is the tweaked circuit that should stop this.

BOM for circuit

Rough schem of the power supply - Ignore the Tone control circuit at the bottom, this was a preliminary design. The Step Up is actually a 12VDC to 220AC step up inverter bought from Amazon. The output is actually a 220V Square wave. The huge capacitor in the photo above is 470U 400V but a 250V alternative should be a little smaller.

The next stage is to buy the resistors and capacitors to replace the ones that are made from multiple ones bunched together and neaten up the wiring in side.

These 6/30L2 valves are really great things.

bluescage