News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need thoughts on gimic tuner

Started by Jabulani Jonny, May 14, 2017, 11:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabulani Jonny

Okay, this is going to sound strange.  My long-time (12 years) gigging buddy and bandmate is moving away.  I want to make him a one of a kind "tuner".  Basically I want a single LED that lights up when it receives any audio signal.  Preferably brighter with stronger signal and fading as the signal from the guitar dies.  Does that make sense?  Seems like it would be a very easy circuit to come up with, but I'll need someone more versed than I to draw it up.  Anybody feel like helping me out?  I would greatly appreciate it.  Yeah, so if you're wondering, he'd always be "in tune".   ;D

Thanks!
Jonathan

kgull

Sounds like you want an envelope follower, this one looks pretty simple:

Edit: This one actually looks even simpler:

Jabulani Jonny

Yeah, that second one looks pretty easy.  Let me see if I have an LM386 sitting around and should be able to test it out. 
Jonathan

Jabulani Jonny

Well I don't have the LM386 on hand unfortunately.  I would think that just about any opamp would work, but it looks like the 386 has a different pinout than others. 
Jonathan

flanagan0718

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on May 15, 2017, 01:10:21 AM
Well I don't have the LM386 on hand unfortunately.  I would think that just about any opamp would work, but it looks like the 386 has a different pinout than others.

If you need one I've got a couple I could send you.

midwayfair

Look at the afterlife and leave out the LDR.

You don't need an LM386, any dual op amp will work.