News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rat clean boost mod

Started by destro, May 19, 2017, 04:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

destro

Anyone know how the clean boost is implemented a la the deucetone rat? I am assuming that it is no clipping diodes....

somnif

Yeah if you look at the board, the clipping diodes are soldered to the switch itself, and the clean side is just a jumper.

DGWVI

Yup, no diodes. It'll still be dirty, and able to fuzz out but the lower end of the distortion pot will have just a bit more range

destro

Yeah, when I read clean boost, I was trying to wrap my mind around how simply removing the diodes would remove the distortion. Thanks for the clarification, DGWVI and somnif

DGWVI

It definitely doesn't remove the distortion, just takes away the compression the diodes add, but the opamp is already being driven into distortion. It's a cool sound, though. A little harsher than a Turbo Rat, a little louder, and up to about 9o'clock on the distortion pot will give you a cleanish boost.
It may just be a placebo thing, but I also feel it stays a bit more dynamic through higher gain settings

Netnnk

Repeating what's  already been said, this reminded me of a recent TGP thread where a Pro Co rep responded:
"On the Deucetone we also have a no diode setting which we call the clean rat, although it's not anywhere close to clean."

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/which-rat-mod-is-this.1806107/