News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help, I'm stumped

Started by AJPennypacker, April 26, 2017, 04:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Replace the output cap with a film cap to rule out a leaking electrolytic. If you still have DC, start looking for a short. I can't think of another place in that pedal where you would have .45V so it's most likely capacitor leakage.

AJPennypacker

Thanks very much will give it a go

AJPennypacker

Ok tried the film cap and sure enough pop is gone, does that mean it was the output cap that was leaking so that's the one to replace, sorry might be a dumb question but I've built a bunch of pedals and never run into this, also really weird to have it on two separate builds of the same pedal. Thanks again for your help this was driving me nuts.

AntKnee

It is improbable for it to happen to both builds, but not impossible. Any chance you overheated them during installation?
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

AntKnee

Oh, and yes, you'll want to replace those output caps. If it were me, I'd test them or at least make sure they were not from the same batch. I doubt you'd have three leaky caps, but you've already had two, so...
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

AJPennypacker

Thanks very much, turns out I had a bunch of leaky caps, I'm wondering at 1uF with a cap that has max voltage of 50 or 100v if the tolerance allowed is just too much for this kind of circuit. Either that or I have some super cheap-ass caps.......