News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Surfy Bear Reverb

Started by diablochris6, May 27, 2017, 04:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

I've had an old Surfy Bear PCB for over a year but never got around to building a box for it. I finally got around to building the enclosure. It was quite a woodworking learning experience for me, and I made some mistakes, but I am pleased with the end product overall. I used some oak from Home Depot and some oak panels for the front and back. The wave picture is a transfer of a photocopy by using acetone. It didn't fully transfer over, so I went over the fine lines with Sharpie and carefully sprayed light layers of poly over it so it wouldn't bleed. I'm still waiting on an LED bulb before I wire up the indicator light. I added a dry kill switch and a "Bellows" control, which is the C10 mod. I have a rotary with three additional capacitors to add more cavernous bass sounds. This thing is rad!

Hang ten!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

selfdestroyer

jimilee

Man, that's beautiful. So that whole big unit is just reverb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wgc

Looks awesome, especially for working with oak
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Martan

bcalla

matmosphere

That's beautiful man. Very cool idea.

Aleph Null

Love the wood burning graphic!

bluescage

That looks really great!

storyboardist

Nice work man! Graphic came out fantastic!
Guy behind Effects Layouts

kinski

Nice build! I made one over a year ago. It sounds better than a lot of my amp spring reverbs!

I built my controls into a 125B. I used a 4PDT stomp to toggle between two different MIX pots (MIX 1, MIX 2) and a bi-color LED.

Think I might build their trem pedal as well!

diablochris6

Quote from: jimilee on May 27, 2017, 08:30:57 PM
Sure is. Sometimes it's all about presentation.

Quote from: Aleph Null on May 30, 2017, 02:20:53 PM
It's actually a transfer of a photocopy onto wood with acetone and redrawing parts with a Sharpie marker. I thought about wood burning, but didn't want to work that long on it and lose some of the transfer detail.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Boba7

Beautiful! I'll have to look into it, would love to build a real spring reverb someday...

It looks really really good, congrats!!

jimilee

Quote from: diablochris6 on June 02, 2017, 11:54:11 PM
Quote from: jimilee on May 27, 2017, 08:30:57 PM
Sure is. Sometimes it's all about presentation.

Quote from: Aleph Null on May 30, 2017, 02:20:53 PM
It's actually a transfer of a photocopy onto wood with acetone and redrawing parts with a Sharpie marker. I thought about wood burning, but didn't want to work that long on it and lose some of the transfer detail.
I just saw a fender reverb just like that one on the local Craig's list. Yours is truly beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.