Author Topic: Laser engraving enclosures with a cheap Chinese machine? Yes!  (Read 12530 times)

trotel

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
Re: Laser engraving enclosures with a cheap Chinese machine? Yes!
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2017, 03:47:54 PM »
Following this thread has been really interesting.  Though it looks like quite a challenge, Iím pretty close to heading down the rabbit hole with the rest of you.

@pickdropper and @m-Kresol:   The alignment baseplate jig looks like an important add-on.

pickdropper- how did you make your acrylic alignment plate? 

m-Kresol- how was your wooden baseplate made?  Looks like the board was cut with a router bit to create space for the laser head?  How does the laser connect to the baseplate?

pickdropper

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2017, 03:52:41 PM »
Following this thread has been really interesting.  Though it looks like quite a challenge, Iím pretty close to heading down the rabbit hole with the rest of you.

@pickdropper and @m-Kresol:   The alignment baseplate jig looks like an important add-on.

m-Kresol- how was your wooden baseplate made?  Looks like the board was cut with a router bit to create space for the laser head?  How does the laser connect to the baseplate?

I laser cut mine on the laser engraver.
Etymotic Research, Function f(x)

alanp

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • http://alanp.info/
« Reply #167 on: October 28, 2017, 08:43:20 PM »
Has anyone tried cutting 2 or 3mm perspex or acrylic with these, or cutting the RowMark stuff?
"Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
- Cohen the Barbarian, on what is greatest in life
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2017, 08:45:56 PM »
Has anyone tried cutting 2 or 3mm perspex or acrylic with these, or cutting the RowMark stuff?

I'd be curious if they can cut 3mm perspex without a lot of meltback as well.
Etymotic Research, Function f(x)

m-Kresol

• Electron Doctor
  • Felix - Graz, Austria
    • View Profile
    • My blog - in german
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2017, 01:53:56 AM »

I have not tried an enclosure without the baseplate, but it sure is awesome for aligning.
We made the cutout with a circular saw and a big wood drill for the corners. Stefan insisted we need to route the edges and sand the plate, to stick to his standards (he just made a wonderful crib for his newborn). The baseplate is screwed to the acrylic feet of the laser.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs
My etching tutorial

trotel

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »
Thanks- seems straightforward enough!

I have not tried an enclosure without the baseplate, but it sure is awesome for aligning.
We made the cutout with a circular saw and a big wood drill for the corners. Stefan insisted we need to route the edges and sand the plate, to stick to his standards (he just made a wonderful crib for his newborn). The baseplate is screwed to the acrylic feet of the laser.

alanp

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2018, 09:45:26 PM »
Something that just occurred to me -- could you cut a template in, say, thin plastic (an icecream lid or something), tape it to the top of an enclosure, and spraypaint it?
My website

culturejam

• Electron Doctor
  • Function f(x)
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2018, 09:53:49 PM »
Something that just occurred to me -- could you cut a template in, say, thin plastic (an icecream lid or something), tape it to the top of an enclosure, and spraypaint it?

You can cut cardstock to make a template. But I also have a hobby plotter/cutter that can do the same thing faster and cleaner. This is also being discussed here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=28126.0

alanp

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2018, 09:59:36 PM »
Well, I know as much about this cricut vinyl business as I do about orbital dynamics and lagrange points (they exist, and that's about it), so my thought was laser cutting :)
My website

culturejam

• Electron Doctor
  • Function f(x)
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2018, 10:08:12 PM »
Well, I know as much about this cricut vinyl business as I do about orbital dynamics and lagrange points (they exist, and that's about it), so my thought was laser cutting :)

The hobby plotters are actually really easy to use. Much easier than lasers. If you're after a way to make templates, the cutter/plotter method is going to be much simpler, in my opinion. Plus, you can make stickers!