News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Laser engraving enclosures with a cheap Chinese machine? Yes!

Started by culturejam, May 27, 2017, 05:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trotel

Following this thread has been really interesting.  Though it looks like quite a challenge, I'm pretty close to heading down the rabbit hole with the rest of you.

@pickdropper and @m-Kresol:   The alignment baseplate jig looks like an important add-on.

pickdropper- how did you make your acrylic alignment plate? 

m-Kresol- how was your wooden baseplate made?  Looks like the board was cut with a router bit to create space for the laser head?  How does the laser connect to the baseplate?

pickdropper

Quote from: trotel on October 28, 2017, 02:47:54 PM
Following this thread has been really interesting.  Though it looks like quite a challenge, I'm pretty close to heading down the rabbit hole with the rest of you.

@pickdropper and @m-Kresol:   The alignment baseplate jig looks like an important add-on.

m-Kresol- how was your wooden baseplate made?  Looks like the board was cut with a router bit to create space for the laser head?  How does the laser connect to the baseplate?

I laser cut mine on the laser engraver.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

Has anyone tried cutting 2 or 3mm perspex or acrylic with these, or cutting the RowMark stuff?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on October 28, 2017, 07:43:20 PM
Has anyone tried cutting 2 or 3mm perspex or acrylic with these, or cutting the RowMark stuff?

I'd be curious if they can cut 3mm perspex without a lot of meltback as well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

m-Kresol

Quote from: trotel on October 28, 2017, 02:47:54 PM

I have not tried an enclosure without the baseplate, but it sure is awesome for aligning.
We made the cutout with a circular saw and a big wood drill for the corners. Stefan insisted we need to route the edges and sand the plate, to stick to his standards (he just made a wonderful crib for his newborn). The baseplate is screwed to the acrylic feet of the laser.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

trotel

Thanks- seems straightforward enough!

Quote from: m-Kresol on October 29, 2017, 12:53:56 AM

I have not tried an enclosure without the baseplate, but it sure is awesome for aligning.
We made the cutout with a circular saw and a big wood drill for the corners. Stefan insisted we need to route the edges and sand the plate, to stick to his standards (he just made a wonderful crib for his newborn). The baseplate is screwed to the acrylic feet of the laser.

alanp

Something that just occurred to me -- could you cut a template in, say, thin plastic (an icecream lid or something), tape it to the top of an enclosure, and spraypaint it?
- Terry Pratchett
My website

culturejam

Quote from: alanp on June 29, 2018, 08:45:26 PM
Something that just occurred to me -- could you cut a template in, say, thin plastic (an icecream lid or something), tape it to the top of an enclosure, and spraypaint it?

You can cut cardstock to make a template. But I also have a hobby plotter/cutter that can do the same thing faster and cleaner. This is also being discussed here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=28126.0
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

Well, I know as much about this cricut vinyl business as I do about orbital dynamics and lagrange points (they exist, and that's about it), so my thought was laser cutting :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

culturejam

Quote from: alanp on June 29, 2018, 08:59:36 PM
Well, I know as much about this cricut vinyl business as I do about orbital dynamics and lagrange points (they exist, and that's about it), so my thought was laser cutting :)

The hobby plotters are actually really easy to use. Much easier than lasers. If you're after a way to make templates, the cutter/plotter method is going to be much simpler, in my opinion. Plus, you can make stickers!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects