News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

UPDATE: Light Plate FAIL!

Started by K3yPr0gg3r, June 05, 2017, 08:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3yPr0gg3r

Hi,

I put up a post regarding light plates, and installation questions a while back. I built "Pasteyface",
which worked and sounded great! However, after I put the pedal together with the light plate set-up and tested it, I got this horrible hum through my amp without even turning the pedal on. When I did turn the thing on, it was worse!
I assumed that the light plate acted as a glorified bypass LED, so I wired a socket to the place on the daughter boards I use, where I usually put the engaged/disengaged LED. I guess there are some circuits that can't handle these things...
Sorry I wasted time and money finding that out! Off to get a NEW Pasteyface PCB.

Thanks

somnif

Could we perhaps get a picture of what you are describing? A light plate is just a clear panel that you illuminate with an LED, it shouldn't alter the circuit in any way.

If things went weird when you installed it, you must have mucked something up with the rest of the circuit. Perhaps you ungrounded something in the process?

K3yPr0gg3r

Unfortunately...I pitched the circuit. I bought some Neutriks Mono enclosed jacks that may have been the problem. I use Lumberg KLBM3s usually, and they work great. Guess I'll try again on a different circuit. The BIGGEST issue is I've never received clarification on using a daughter board for installing, and operating a light plate. I've read the DIY Pedal post, but it DOESN'T address using daughter boards! Star wiring has aways seemed more complex to me, so I've NEVER tried, (although Guitar Pedal Parts has these very COOL lighted 3DPDT switches so I may have to force myself to learn). Has anyone use a board to set-up their plate?

Thanks

somnif

I just installed the LED on the board as usual, but on the component side of the board pointing into the enclosure rather than up through the face.

K3yPr0gg3r

Thank you! I soldered the wires to the TOP of the board, and then ran them around the left hand side. Next time I'll solder to bottom so I have a straight shot...

cajone5

For your reference... light plate and 10mm LED on a madbean pork barrel chorus.  LED illuminates bottom plate and pulses with rate on the chorus.