News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A couple projects for the weekend: Deluxe Demo Tape Fuzz and a modded tuner

Started by Boba7, June 11, 2017, 06:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boba7

Hey

So with my little family away for the weekend, I got time to do a couple projects!

First is a Demo Tape Fuzz with two modifications:

- A simple opamp clean boost hardwired in front of it (I made it so when its fully ccw it's unity gain and I can have a stock Demo Tape Fuzz )
I found the schematic here: http://www.jer00n.nl/2010/07/28/clean-boost-for-guitar-or-bass/ and made a simple vero layout for it. It's a good buffer too, which is quite needed in my opinion with this circuit.

- A switch to add diodes in the feedback loop of the Demo Tape Fuzz: either 2x Red leds or 4x 1N4148. Center is off to keep a stock Demo Tape Fuzz.

Otherwise the circuit is stock except for a 22pf in the feedback loop. I used a ne5532 which sounded best to my ears, and an opa134 for boost cause I have some laying around.
It's a fantastic circuit, and with the added boost it can have A LOT more gain, and the decay at higher gain setting is less farty. Also the optional diodes really smooth out the sound.

I had a really beaten up white enclosure in my drawer that I had used for a couple projects, so I decided to use it. It already had 6 holes, that's why I had to think of some mods! I used a Stazon ink pad to "paint" it. The switching board comes from diy.thcustom.com.

Next is a simple Korg Pitch Black tuner with an optional Klon Buffer. I just put it on a switch on the output jack. Very practical, really happy it went so smoothly. The layout comes from effectslayouts.blogspot.com (thanks a lot). Can't use the battery anymore, that's fine with me.

mjg

storyboardist

Guy behind Effects Layouts