News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Synth Day

Started by madbean, July 07, 2017, 10:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I've never owned or really used a synth other than VST plugins on my midi controller. Been lusting after the Minilogue for a long time but I could never justify the price for what I would use it for. But, the Monologue seemed like a good entry point for me and is considerably cheaper. So far, I'm enjoying it a lot and have been able to dial in some cool patches without too much trouble. There is a learning curve but since most of the controls are right there it's easy to tweak. I haven't even messed with the sequencer yet, but the envelope and LFO controls are loads of fun!

selfdestroyer

Better make room for more synths.. it's like a disease.

Cody

peAk

Quote from: selfdestroyer on July 07, 2017, 10:43:08 AM
Better make room for more synths.. it's like a disease.

Cody

Yes, it definitely is.

Brian, this is great. I guess we can expect some synth pcb stuff here shortly?

"I used to play guitar....before I bought a synth" ;)

alanp

Messing with buttons and knobs is a lot more fun than going clickclick with the mouse :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gtr2

I recently got an Arturia Microbrute, it was a cheaper blem, but looked spotless to me.
Most fun I had in a long time playing it, plus the kids love it.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

nzCdog

Woo!  Yay for new toys

raulduke

First synth?... probably won't be the last ;)!

I Think aphex twin contributed to the design (and presets) on the monologue... pretty cool!

madbean

Quote from: raulduke on July 10, 2017, 08:01:22 AM

Probably not. The SubPhatty or Sub 37 could be mine someday. Been having some fun with the Monologue already, though. I'm going to try it through some pedals soon!

peAk

Quote from: madbean on July 10, 2017, 08:49:03 AM
Quote from: raulduke on July 10, 2017, 08:01:22 AM

Probably not. The SubPhatty or Sub 37 could be mine someday. Been having some fun with the Monologue already, though. I'm going to try it through some pedals soon!

just FYI Brian, you may or may not know this but the Sub37 and Subphatty have vst editors you can use in your host. So basically they pull up like a regular vst and you can control them with your DAW and/or with the hardware. Fully automatable too. It's nice cause of the librarian as well. 

I am actually on the Moog beta team testing the latest Subphatty editor right now. The old editor has some issues, this new one runs a lot better.

madbean

Quote from: peAk on July 10, 2017, 10:41:42 AM
just FYI Brian, you may or may not know this but the Sub37 and Subphatty have vst editors you can use in your host. So basically they pull up like a regular vst and you can control them with your DAW and/or with the hardware. Fully automatable too. It's nice cause of the librarian as well. 

I am actually on the Moog beta team testing the latest Subphatty editor right now. The old editor has some issues, this new one runs a lot better.

Ohh, sweet! I did not know that. Been watching a lot of Moog on youTube. I definitely have the bug now.

raulduke

Check out the Elektron stuff too for VST compatability.

Their synth (and other stuff) has a VST editor, but also streams the MIDI and Audio VIA USB (no need for any other cables).

Very clever technology.

The Analog Four is 4 Mono Synths in one (MKII has just been announced too).

Or... enter the murky depths of Modular/Eurorack.

I warn you now though; if you thought pedals were addictive, just wait till you catch the modular bug  ;) ;D

peAk

Brian, how's the synth rockin going? 

drezdn

madbean

Quote from: peAk on September 25, 2017, 10:04:29 AM
Brian, how's the synth rockin going?

Good. I've used it on a few demos for the band and it delivers. I haven't spent nearly enough time with it but so far every use has yielded a success. It's just got a very cool vibe overall. I really need to try plugging my guitar into it. I saw a cool video a while back on how to do use it with a guitar.