News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Total Recall Resistor value

Started by PhiloB, July 07, 2017, 08:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

I'm preparing to build the Total Recall.  The BOM calls for a 24k3 and 33k2.  I thought I had ordered carbon film resistors (5%) of the values 24k and 33k and planned on finding values close.  Apparently I didn't do a good job of ordering.  Looking at the schematic though, R23 and R24 don't look too critical if I use a 24k and 33k (1% Metal Film) Resistor.  Looks like they are responsible for setting gain and rc filter for IC3.  I only ask because those values are so specific.  Want to make sure I'm not missing something!
Thanks,
Phillip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsoncini

Out of a batch of 20 1% resistors each I found the right value. Just use your multimeter to find the right ones

PhiloB

Quote from: bsoncini on July 07, 2017, 11:14:35 PM
Out of a batch of 20 1% resistors each I found the right value. Just use your multimeter to find the right ones
You had better luck than I did.  All my 24k resistors were right at 24.0x.  My 33k resistors were at 32.8-33.1.
I plugged the values in the non inverting op amp gain calculator and it doesn't seem to be a huge deal.  Was hoping someone would confirm my suspicions or rebuke me before I started soldering;)

Scruffie

I think i've posted this before but my theory which i'm fairly sure is right is in vintage EHX pedals, when an oddly specific value such as that is used it was to be sure that a tighter tolerance resistor was used because the gain or whatever function was important enough that a badly off 5 or 10% resistor wouldn't cut it.
Works at Lectric-FX

PhiloB

Quote from: bsoncini on July 08, 2017, 11:47:23 PM
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=24627.0
I swear I did a search before I asked!  I'm going to blame it on the Tapatalk app rather than user error;)

Scruffier that seems like a logical theory.