News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Are you a Boss fan? Got 900$ to blow? Heres a deal for you!

Started by somnif, July 12, 2017, 03:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

So, for their 40th aniversary, Boss is releasing a limited edition set of recreations of their initial 3 pedals: the OD-1 Overdrive, the PH-1 Phaser, and the SP-1 Spectrum. Only 1500 sets are being produced, and the few places I've seen them available are listing the pre-order at 899.99$ The pedals are built in Japan to original specs (or at least as original as available parts will allow, I'd assume) but with a few improvements like a sturdier battery snap and LED indicators.

https://www.boss.info/global/promos/40th_anniversary_compact_pedals/

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss/FX-40th-Anniversary-Pedal-Box-Set.gc?source=4XFCBK1

(Or, you know, you could spend 20$ and get PCBs for the OD-1 and SP-1 from Aion. The Phaser is a bit trickier, but I'm sure theres a vero out there somewhere)

nzCdog

Saw these... didn't notice the price tag tho *cough*
SP1-Spectrum is something I'd never heard of before

somnif

Quote from: nzCdog on July 12, 2017, 03:41:25 AM
SP1-Spectrum is something I'd never heard of before

Its... an acquired taste pedal. Tends to nasal-ize your tone pretty significantly (to my ears anyway). If I wanted that effect I would go with a Systech Harmonic Energizer (clone, obviously) to have a bit more control and customization.

Its mostly notable for being one of the first, and being stupid rare these days. More collectable than useful.

But its pcb is only 10$ and you get the experience of Frankensteining your own mixed-taper dual gang pot if you want to make one.

gordo

Holy s**t I didn't know the price.  What'd I break a window???
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

somnif

Yeah the price is just mind boggling. There aren't many Boss stomp-pedals I'd be happy spending 100$ on. None at all that I'd spend 200$ on. But 300$ a pop? A fairly generic old school overdrive, a 4-stage jfet phaser (which even when it was popular was quickly supplanted by a 3 knob version), and a pedal that makes your guitar sound like it has a head cold.

300$ for the set I could understand. Even 400$ to cover the fancy case and old school construction methods. Maybe even 500$ if they wanted to push the prestige and collectors edge of it. But 900$ is just.... why?!?! Is Yoshi Ikegami soldering them together by hand in his office between meetings?

Muadzin

The insanely high value for the SP-1 is most certainly not for the wonder that it works for a guitar's tone. It's solely for the collectability, as there weren't that many produced so they're rare as dirt.

aion

reddesert

This makes no sense. Boss pedals are great, but if you were going to spend $900 on them, you should buy my custom "Emperor of Tone" pedalboard instead.  Here's a picture (and attached for posterity).

emperor_of_tone by reddesert64, on Flickr