News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Plastic Enclosure: Yay or Nay?

Started by jposega, July 13, 2017, 10:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jposega

Anyone put a circuit in a plastic enclosure?

Not just a spare Tupperware but one of the Hammond or similar plastic boxes.

There are some in translucent colors that would look pretty neat with the LED just tucked inside the box.

I'm mildly concerned about structural integrity and the circuit not being properly shielded.

jimilee

I have, but it was a noisy cricket circuit. As long as both jacks are grounded and depending on the circuit, I don't know if you'd experience any interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jposega

Thanks Jimi. I think I'll give it a try, maybe even sacrifice a Tupperware as a test bed, see how it goes.

matmosphere

I've done it too. It works fine and looks cool.

mjg

I've got one that picks up the local radio stations when you touch the toggle switches....so yeah, you can have shielding issues sometimes. 

Structural integrity is fine with the Hammond plastic boxes that I've used.

selfdestroyer

I have built in a plastic radio shack project box and lost my footing one night and crushed it. The foot switch jack broke through the top of it. For the most part it was stable and rugged but it does not like a huge amount of weight on it (which I am).

Cody

somnif

I use a plastic enclosure for my LED tester (which is just a couple sockets and a pot), but not sure I'd trust one for stomp-box purposes. There is a definite bit of give if I squeeze the sides of mine, and my foot is none too gentle.

junkemail86

I've built about 100 pedals in those decent quality Radioshack and similar project boxes without any structural integrity issues.  Haven't had much problem with noise other than real high gain circuits (and even then, I don't really know if it's worse than my metal enclosures).