News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

18V (15V) Chorus Pedal With an Onboard Charge Pump?

Started by Scruffie, August 30, 2011, 04:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

I've noticed a lack of Chorus projects using the 3007 that take advantage of its higher voltage rating which it would appear is where the 'magic' of the 300X series comes from so how about a project for a 18V chorus with an LT1054 charge pump on board, regulated down to the 3007s 15V limit?

Of course as I always request on other forums Bean, the board would have onboard pots and no stand up resistors  ;D

The only chorus that comes to mind designed for 15V is the EHX Clone Theory, but perhaps an expansion on any existing chorus could be good, perhaps updated with buffers and plenty of mods to make a sort of rack in a box type chorus... maybe even dare I say, companding?

Works at Lectric-FX

madbean

The redesign of the Pork Barrel will allow 15v operation, but it won't be an on-board charge pump. With the Road Rage board mounted in the battery area it won't be too much of an inconvenience. I've run a CE-2 at 12v but not 15v, so I'm pretty curious myself!

Scruffie

Quote from: madbean on August 30, 2011, 04:32:07 PM
The redesign of the Pork Barrel will allow 15v operation, but it won't be an on-board charge pump. With the Road Rage board mounted in the battery area it won't be too much of an inconvenience. I've run a CE-2 at 12v but not 15v, so I'm pretty curious myself!
Oh i'm sure a chorus such as the Small Clone/ CE-2 etc. Can run off higher voltages, i'm just thinking of a PCB specifically designed for it and a bit more feature packed than perhaps the standard 2 knob chorus, obviously to fit a 1590BB rather than a smaller enclosure.

No I wouldn't expect the new Pork Barrel to have an onboard charge pump, not and still fit a 1590B! Plus the 3207 option would render that slightly pointless for probably half the builders.

My reasoning behind the idea is mainly that alot of the chorus projects built out there use the 3007, but at 9V they'd be better off utilising the 3207 as the 3007 isn't really giving any of its benefits at that voltage, so why not atleast design a chorus that's going to get the best out of the 3007 if we're going to keep using an out of production part (although it's great you've allowed for both on the Pork Barrel) with all the necessary voltage alterations on board.

The difference between 12V & 15V probably isn't quite as big as 9V to 12V, it's all about head room with these BBDs though!
Works at Lectric-FX