News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First MadBean Build a success! Slow Loris

Started by intrentnet7, August 15, 2017, 12:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intrentnet7

This was a Slow Loris build I did for my brother. Sounds glorious.

It didn't come without challenges though. The enclosure was a predrilled mammoth electronics 1590b that I already had around. Their placement of the DC jack (top and slightly left) and LED didn't exactly make things easy on the inside. I didn't post a gutshot cause frankly I'm embarrassed at how ugly it looks inside. In order to fit it in the 1590b I had to forego using pcb mount pots  cause the dc jack sits just above and slightly over the top left pot. As a result of that I needed to flip the board upside down and rotate it 90 degrees in order for it to sit flush. Components were too tall otherwise with 16mm lug pots, dc jack overhang and in/out jack placements. I drilled the hole for the clipping switch in the most convenient place I could think of without potential for getting stepped on and that ended up being slightly to the left but not terrible.

I had a minor miswire (learning experience) as I had a bunch of leftover white wire that I used to do the whole thing. All wires being the same color and as messy as the inside was I'm surprised it was only the one mistake. In the end it was an easy fix. It's all a tight fit but I taped the interior of the bottom plate and used drops of silicon adhesive and shrink sleeving to prevent any shorts.

All buttoned up you would never know the mess that lies inside. Ha ha. Looks good on the outside and sounds fantastic which is all that matters really.

Knobs ended up being (L to R) volume and gain on top row and cut and sweep on bottom. Which is an arrangement that I prefer actually.

Thanks for looking. Hope to post another build soon.

jimilee

Hey, congratulations man, what a great first build too. Gut shot or it's a rehoused behringer!  Have you seen the first build threads floating around? Not pretty, we all had a first build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

intrentnet7

Quote from: jimilee on August 15, 2017, 01:02:53 PM
Hey, congratulations man, what a great first build too. Gut shot or it's a rehoused behringer!  Have you seen the first build threads floating around? Not pretty, we all had a first build.

Ha ha. Ok ok ok. Here's what I got.

I'll have to get it back from my brother for the completed gutshot but here's the populated board and the wired enclosure.

You can see how the dc jack interfered with everything. I had to label the sweep pot so I wouldn't confuse myself when wiring the pots to the board.

jimilee

Sweet oblivion, that is a lot of wires. Got any maranwra for that spaghetti? Mine had a that much wire for a simple boost pedal. Not pretty.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wgc

Such a situation would've caused some havoc for just about anyone.

But you did a great job, and even cooler, you were able to troubleshoot your miswire successfully.

I probably would've drilled a new hole for the dc jack and found a way to plug the original hole (or not).  The stomp hole is placed a little high too.

Anyway, you're probably already thinking about the next 3 projects...!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

zombie_rock123

Sweet first! Here here to sounds over looks, and it reminds me a lot of my Zen drive which was a madbean etch - no labels just rockin sounds. Amen to the other guys, carry on Macduff :)
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

BrianS

Great job.  The wiring looks like some of my vero builds LOL.  But hey, at the end of the day if it works, what do they say?  ITs a good day. 

intrentnet7

Quote from: jimilee on August 15, 2017, 01:26:15 PM
Sweet oblivion, that is a lot of wires. Got any maranwra for that spaghetti? Mine had a that much wire for a simple boost pedal. Not pretty.

Ha ha, I told you it was ugly. It wasn't quite as bad once I trimmed the wires back to solder to the pcb.  ;)

Quote from: wgc on August 15, 2017, 02:18:29 PM
Such a situation would've caused some havoc for just about anyone.

But you did a great job, and even cooler, you were able to troubleshoot your miswire successfully.

I probably would've drilled a new hole for the dc jack and found a way to plug the original hole (or not).  The stomp hole is placed a little high too.

Anyway, you're probably already thinking about the next 3 projects...!

I had thought about plugging the hole and drilling below the footswitch (where I'm guessing all that space is for a battery?) but since it was not for my own use I thought I'd rather keep the outside aesthetically pleasing.

I was a bit pressed for time otherwise I would've just ordered a new enclosure. Although, if I'm honest, I was intimidated about drilling so many holes into a blank enclosure but after drilling the hole for the toggle on this build I am far less intimidated by it. Experience breeds confidence.  8)

diablochris6

Good job! First builds are always exciting and strenuous. Classy result.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

oip

haha, you certainly entered challenge mode by not being able to mount the pots!

looks great on the outside though, that LED/bezel/knobs combo is slick

Stomptown

Congrats and great job! That is a pretty ambitious first build right there!

stringsthings

Nice work!  Just wait until you take advantage of board-mounted pots.
They're so nice, it's hard to go back.  I'm completely spoiled on them.
All You Need Is Love