News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Blueshift (Dimension C) Chorus

Started by dan.schumaker, July 17, 2017, 05:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Kevin could describe these pro line circuits as, "Does nothing more than emit sporadic fart noises along with an ear-piercing high pitched wail," and I'd still want to buy the boards and build them -- they're that beautiful!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Zigcat

Quote from: EBK on July 17, 2017, 03:38:38 PM
Kevin could describe these pro line circuits as, "Does nothing more than emit sporadic fart noises along with an ear-piercing high pitched wail," and I'd still want to buy the boards and build them -- they're that beautiful!

Wait, they actually make a good effect? Bonus!

dan.schumaker

Quote from: EBK on July 17, 2017, 01:21:21 PM
Could you say a bit about the finish?  Was an artwork file posted?  I couldn't find one....
Your pedal has a frosted look to it that is kind of interesting.

For the finish, I used one of the polished enclosures from Tayda.  I knew this was going to be a fancy pedal, I wanted to start with a fancy box too  :)

oip

really fantastic job!  i've been eyeing this one off, good to know that it's reasonable to build.  will grab a PCB set at some stage.

on a side note, the anodised looking enclosure on the aion site looks amazing, been wondering how it was done:

https://aionelectronics.com/project/blueshift-dimenson-c-chorus/

somnif

I'm pretty sure its just transparent powdercoat (aka "candy coat"). Its not as deep blue as PPP's transparent, so maybe its a Mammoth color (I know they also offer a transparent blue)?

Zigcat

Quote from: oip on July 17, 2017, 06:34:21 PM
really fantastic job!  i've been eyeing this one off, good to know that it's reasonable to build.  will grab a PCB set at some stage.

on a side note, the anodised looking enclosure on the aion site looks amazing, been wondering how it was done:

https://aionelectronics.com/project/blueshift-dimenson-c-chorus/

Kevin did hint that he may do a run of enclosures if there was enough interest.

oip

+1 interest!  looks so good with the brushed aluminium texture.

thanks for the heads up about transparent coating i didn't know it was a thing.  this is the best colour match i could find, available as custom finish through mammoth but presumably on straight enclosure rather than brushed:

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/UPB-1736/HAWAIIAN-TEAL/

Boba7

That was quick! It looks great, and the guts only get more curious about the circuit boards! :)

aion

WOW! That was fast.

Enclosure on the site is from PPP - a brushed finish with Emerald Green Transparent, if I remember right. I just added my artwork PDF to the Blueshift project page, so you should be able to send that to them and get the same thing.

czapa tranzystor 2

oip

Quote from: aion on July 19, 2017, 04:21:33 AM
Enclosure on the site is from PPP - a brushed finish with Emerald Green Transparent, if I remember right. I just added my artwork PDF to the Blueshift project page, so you should be able to send that to them and get the same thing.

awesome thanks!

EBK

Quote from: oip on July 19, 2017, 06:11:35 PM
Quote from: aion on July 19, 2017, 04:21:33 AM

awesome thanks!
+1 Thanks!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Martan

Quote from: oip on July 17, 2017, 08:02:51 PM
+1 interest!  looks so good with the brushed aluminium texture.

thanks for the heads up about transparent coating i didn't know it was a thing.  this is the best colour match i could find, available as custom finish through mammoth but presumably on straight enclosure rather than brushed:

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/UPB-1736/HAWAIIAN-TEAL/

Man, with that setup fee from ppp a printed 125B comes out to over $50 with shipping, and I'm in the states!

EBK

Quote from: Martan on July 20, 2017, 12:21:21 PM
Man, with that setup fee from ppp a printed 125B comes out to over $50 with shipping, and I'm in the states!
I know.  Will be hard to decide what to do when I eventually build this (I've ordered the boards).  I'm hoping Kevin or someone else will pay for a run of these enclosures and sell them to us for something less.  Otherwise, I might do an etch. 

Bucksears

Don't know how I missed this, but definitely interested. Only concern I have with this being a straight-up clone of a DC-2 is the headroom.
It appears to still run off of 9V. Any distortion/overload issues with humbuckers, etc?

I'm doing a full-on reverse engineered clone of the original DC-2 PCB (SIP ICs and all), and almost have that done. Only differences are, I beefed up the power section per some notes/suggestions I found online from Fromel himself, and I didn't include the buffer parts and will run it true bypass.

Besides being an unbelievably clean PCB, the other thing that really piques my interest is the input/output wiring is all at the bottom of the PCB (near the footswitch and jacks).
If mine doesn't work, I'm definitely picking up the BlueShift PCB.