News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Choral Reef

Started by madbean, July 17, 2017, 08:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianS

If your building in a 125b the 16mm pots would pose no problem I think.  I'm not at home now to eyeball what one would look like on a 1590b but they are designed to put a battery in so there might be some wiggle room.  One thing I like about the 9mm pots is I only have to get 3 knobs for the pedal. 

Boba7

Hey, quick technical question: what's the shortest delay time on the Choral reef? The doc says there are differant clocking options (3 caps), but I'd like to have an idea of the shortest time, if anyone has any idea :)

somnif

Quote from: Boba7 on August 19, 2017, 06:42:32 AM
Hey, quick technical question: what's the shortest delay time on the Choral reef? The doc says there are differant clocking options (3 caps), but I'd like to have an idea of the shortest time, if anyone has any idea :)

I want to say the settings are 10ms, 33ms, and 50ms, but I can't find where I read that. Sooooo its possible my brain imagined it. I'll keep looking.

Boba7

Quote from: somnif on August 19, 2017, 06:56:03 AM
I want to say the settings are 10ms, 33ms, and 50ms, but I can't find where I read that. Sooooo its possible my brain imagined it. I'll keep looking.

Thanks! So yeah not exactly a flanger sound but the 10ms setting should be interesting!

lego4040

Parts have started to come in from sources but I'm still waiting in Tayda. Here is the meat and potatoes.

lego4040

Mouser just notified me that the low esr valued 47uf caps are in and the same for the mlcc0.01ufs. They were also out of 10m resistors, all are in stock now and mine are on way to me

somnif

I have all my parts but the BBD. Small bear shipped it on the 11th, and its been listed as "On its way to you" on the USPS tracking page since the 12th. I'm starting to get a little worried. Hell, even my Tayda order, placed the day after small bear, has already arrived.

Stay safe little chip, hopefully you aren't in a lost mail room somewhere...

lego4040

USPS has the worst Tracking system, not sure where your located but SmallBear is in Brooklyn, NY. Im right here next to Brooklyn so I had no issue but Im waithing for tayda since early last week

greenskull

Built it up last week and just waiting on a nice powder coated enclosure to arrive tomorrow! Only problem was a bad MN3008 ordered off eBay (should have known better), but Smallbear came through with a good one at triple the price.
   I'm really worried about drilling for the jacks.... hope I don't botch it up!! This ended up being a relatively expensive build for me due to the chips and having to order from multiple sources. Not exactly a $15 fuzz build, haha!
Looking forward to the VFE Tractor Beam next.

BrianS

Quote from: greenskull on August 23, 2017, 01:40:26 PM
   I'm really worried about drilling for the jacks.... hope I don't botch it up!! This ended up being a relatively expensive build for me due to the chips and having to order from multiple sources. Not exactly a $15 fuzz build, haha!
Looking forward to the VFE Tractor Beam next.

The drill template is spot on.  If you get it square on the box you shouldn't have any problems.  if you're unsure then measure everything (which is a good idea anyway).  From my experience with 3 of them the drill template is great.

lego4040

I'll start this circuit tomorrow, I should've finished the moodring but of coarse I have no b10k. My Tayda shipment comes tomorrow and I have 10 coming

somnif

My MN3008 from Smallbear finally arrived (along with several pots and switches)! 27 days to get from NY to AZ, with more than 3 weeks without a USPS tracking update. Ugh.

Funny enough, it arrived the day after I got an Email from Smallbear saying they hadn't been able to receive emails from Gmail addresses for the past 3 weeks.

But I can finally get back to building this thing. Woo.

tcpoint

What have you been using for the 65k resistor?  Also, if anybody in the US needs some 14.3k resistors, I accidentally ordered 200, so just PM me and I'll send you 4.

somnif

Quote from: tcpoint on September 10, 2017, 04:00:38 PM
What have you been using for the 65k resistor?  Also, if anybody in the US needs some 14.3k resistors, I accidentally ordered 200, so just PM me and I'll send you 4.

I used 66.5k 1/8W (They also had 64.9k, but they were out of stock at 1/8W). It means the voltage divider on pin 6 of the 358 will dip a few mV, but that shouldn't be much of an issue.  (If my math is right it will drop from about 2.2V to about 2.18V).

The 14.3s are a little different in their use. Its not their value that really matters (since they are in series/parallel with the mix pot), so long as all 4 are close to one another. Using a tight tolerance resistor solves that issue, but a similar effect can be accomplished with a batch of resistors and a DMM. (I almost did the same thing you did and bought the batch since it was like 3$, but I saw they only had 1 batch left in stock and didn't want to take it)

tcpoint

I ended up putting a 18k and a 47k resistor in series.  Didn't feel like waiting for another order and I those on hand.