News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What to put in old TV Antenna?

Started by HamSandwich, July 19, 2017, 08:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSandwich

Hello all,

I had an impulse buy of some weird looking rabbit ears, wondering if anyone has any suggestions for effects to put in. I have a single antenna theremin already, so probably not one of those. It's got two knobs and a switch and looks like this

Is there some weird fuzz/theremin/oscillating debauchery that fits the bill?

Thanks

matmosphere

Some kind of tremolo. And turn the antennae into a Jacob's Ladder

HamSandwich

I did look at the Jacobs latter, but I value my life too much  :o

hoodoo

Throw the antenna's in the bin, and use the cool looking, slant enclosure, for a retro, octave/fuzz/vibe????? multi build  ;)

zombie_rock123

Keep hold of the antennas for a double Wumpus!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

alanp

Quote from: HamSandwich on July 19, 2017, 08:13:36 PM

A variant on Tim Escobedo's Uglyface would be just the ticket! GCFX do a Machete pcb for this, I believe.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

samhay

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

MFOS Weird Sound Generator. Use the antennae as two of the controls.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

AntKnee

Is it plastic or metal?
I'm looking at it hoping for a way to keep that control facia and dials somehow. If you make it into a pedal, you'd have to scrap the coolest part to make room for footswitches.
Maybe it would make a cool desktop multi effect box?
Uglyface-Phaser-Reverb-Delay
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

matmosphere

Luke51411

I would put something like parasitstudios 0415 guitar synth. It would only have one more switch you would need to make room for.

HamSandwich

Wow wow wow! Thanks for the responses!

Quote from: hoodoo on July 20, 2017, 12:42:10 AM
Throw the antenna's in the bin, and use the cool looking, slant enclosure, for a retro, octave/fuzz/vibe????? multi build  ;)

Hadn't thought about that... once I get back to the bench I'll see how easy the antenna are to remove.

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on July 20, 2017, 12:59:52 AM
Keep hold of the antennas for a double Wumpus!

A double what-now?

Quote from: samhay on July 20, 2017, 01:39:43 AM
Theremin.
Quote from: jimilee on July 20, 2017, 05:13:20 AM
Quote from: samhay on July 20, 2017, 01:39:43 AM
Theremin.
^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a theremin that I am quite pleased with and hardly use as is, so I can't imagine two of them lol. Thanks for the replies though!

Quote from: alanp on July 20, 2017, 01:32:15 AM
Quote from: HamSandwich on July 19, 2017, 08:13:36 PM

A variant on Tim Escobedo's Uglyface would be just the ticket! GCFX do a Machete pcb for this, I believe.
Quote from: davent on July 20, 2017, 10:12:29 AM
MFOS Weird Sound Generator. Use the antennae as two of the controls.
dave
Quote from: Luke51411 on July 20, 2017, 03:17:49 PM
I would put something like parasitstudios 0415 guitar synth. It would only have one more switch you would need to make room for.

I will check all these out! I'm not sure of the feasibility of using both antenna for two reasons. 1) id have to have one hand on the guitar for most of these ideas and 2) I'm not sure if the two antenna will interact together and make their usable range only smaller than the distance between them.

Quote from: AntKnee on July 20, 2017, 01:22:07 PM
Is it plastic or metal?
I'm looking at it hoping for a way to keep that control facia and dials somehow. If you make it into a pedal, you'd have to scrap the coolest part to make room for footswitches.
Maybe it would make a cool desktop multi effect box?
Uglyface-Phaser-Reverb-Delay

I had convinced myself it would be a desktop or top of amp effect, so I would use a remote switch. I'm liking the sound of the uglyface a lot. Could be interesting!