News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Wave

Started by pickdropper, July 23, 2017, 02:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

It's been a long time since I've posted a build report, but this one was sort of interesting, so I thought I'd throw some pics up.

Somebody contacted me and asked if I'd build them a 3-in-1.  He wanted an etch of The Great Wave off Kanagawa on it. 

I suggested using acrylic plates for it (which I still think look better) but he wanted it directly etched on the enclosure and seems very happy with the results, so it's all good.  I didn't get very good shots of the inside, but there is one gutshot.

This is the final build:

This is one of the acrylic plates:

This is a an acrylic plate with a reverse etch:

And this is the gutshot (obviously):

The circuits are a FF + EA Trem + DBD
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

That is so art-like :) I like how minimalistic your silkscreens are on the pcbs.

The name always makes me think of that book, "The Wave" by Morton Rhue.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

BrianS

Oh my that's a great looking build.  That etch is, uh, I don't have words of how sharp it looks.  So nice in and out.

EBK

Can you tell me more about this acrylic plate etch stuff (pointing me somewhere else would be ok too  ;))?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Leevibe

Man, I like all 3 versions. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

pickdropper

Quote from: EBK on July 23, 2017, 03:31:15 PM
Can you tell me more about this acrylic plate etch stuff (pointing me somewhere else would be ok too  ;))?

Basically, here is the process:

1.) Take a piece of acrylic
2.) Paint one side of it with the color you want (I used black for both pieces)
3.) Setup your artwork in the vector program you like (I use Adobe Illustrator)
4.) Flip the artwork horizontally so that the image is backwards (because you are going to reverse the underside of the acrylic.
5.) Laser etch and cut acrylic.  I used a 30W Epilog laser for this.

For the reverse etched one, I inverted the colors.
Function f(x)

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

midwayfair

Lovely etch, but can we talk about how perfectly sized and spaced the boards are inside?

diablochris6

Agreed. Great layout inside and ingenious method for plate design.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Willybomb

Those guts are a thing of beauty.

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on July 23, 2017, 08:21:17 PM
Lovely etch, but can we talk about how perfectly sized and spaced the boards are inside?

When you use boards laid out for 1590A builds, it sort of just works out that way with 3-in-1 builds.
Function f(x)

bcalla

mrclean77

Great build - I love the little boards and the insides (I usually do love your gutshots). The customer chose wrong - shoulda went with the reverse etched acrylic, oh well. One could say this is a matter of opinion, but nope....customer was wrong.  ;D

EBK

For the acrylic, would the switches and knobs be mounted only to the underlying enclosure and not physically touching the acrylic (due to carefully oversized holes)?  Wondering about cracking....
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

m-Kresol

perfect in every way!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials