News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lost Cosmonaut (Total Recall)

Started by PhiloB, July 28, 2017, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

It's been a while since I built a Madbean project and I've been eyeing this one a while.  Had a guy in town post he was interested in building one and might need some guidance.  So we decided to go in together and do up some nice boxes.
Madbean did a bang up job!! Fit perfectly in the 125BB.  Used the Xvive chip with no issues.  Biased by ear and sounds awesome.  I had a vintage DMM on my bench back in April for repair and this one certainly seems less noisy-but still noisy in the repeats:)
I did have an issue with the regulator.  The voltages were all wrong.  It was like I was getting -30v to ground.  I checked all my solder joints and polarity on components.  I had taken a great deal of time and effort to line up the regulator up with the silkscreen and have it laying flat on the PCB.   I lifted the regulator off the PCB just barely and all voltages were corrected.  I built a second board and it had the same issue.  As soon as I lifted the board a bit voltages are good.  Is this a fluke?  Was voltage jumping from the input tab to the ground plane on the PCB through the hole in the PCB?  Sounds crazy but both circuits work perfectly with them just slightly of the board.
Anyway, sounds great.  Incredible planning on Madbeans part...there was like a 1mm clearance around the PCB and enclosure.
Used Inkscape to do up the artwork and had PedalPartsPlus do the printing.  If their printing had been off just a little, things wouldn't have fit. 
Had a lot of fun/challenge in building this circuit.  Now to have fun playing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jubal81

That is a real stunner. Absolutely perfect. Great choice on the knobs, too.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jimilee

Hey! Great to see you, nicely done sir!

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

Looks fantastic!
Tell me about those jacks, please.
Looks like you converted some enclosed jacks to open frame with some cutting/filing there.  Is that so?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

somnif

Quote from: EBK on July 28, 2017, 07:39:01 PM
Looks fantastic!
Tell me about those jacks, please.
Looks like you converted some enclosed jacks to open frame with some cutting/filing there.  Is that so?

They look like Lumberg (brand name) jacks: http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/lumberg-1-4-compact-shrouded-stereo-jack/

matmosphere

Nice build! Sounds a little like building a 1590a pedal. Whatever stress you had I'm sure it was more than worth it.

I think those are Lumberg style jacks, correct?

PhiloB

Yes they are Lumberg jacks.
What's up JimiLee?!

wgc

Awesome, love the look of this! 

As for the regulator, it's possible the via underneath doesn't have enough soldermask over it ("tenting").

The vias I see do look kind of big so it's harder to cover them consistently. You could probably put a small piece of tape over the via just to be safe.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

m-Kresol

great job. looks very well built and professional. (except for the 3pdt, I hate those with passion :P)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

selfdestroyer

That looks great. Love the color and artwork.

Cody

PhiloB

Thanks guys.  One other thing I forgot to mention. I used milled sockets for the ICs.  There wasn't enough space between the CD4047 and the first MN3005.  I had to sit the MN3005 at a slight angle for it to fit properly.  Hit one leg with a small amount of solder to keep it in place.  The other one I built, I skipped the socket on CD4047 and it fit fine.  FYI

Leevibe

Perfectly done man. Nice job fitting everything. Love the graphics!

czapa tranzystor 2

Very clean build,look how as manufacturing (factory).

mjg

Very nice!  That finish really does look first class.

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love