News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Les Paul with a built in OD??

Started by jimilee, August 02, 2017, 01:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

The only cool guitars I've seen with overdrives and stuff built in, are those Space Marine ones that were posted here :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

I'll admit I found Matt Belamy's (Muse) Fuzz Factory guitar intriguing, but in that case it made some sense to load it on the instrument as the pick guard was used as a theramin antenna to modulate the voltage (stab control).

This particular case just seems silly. Putting cavities in the guitar reduces some of that lovely mass-to-sustain ratio LPs have, and you need a screwdriver to adjust the settings on the blasted thing.

jimilee

Quote from: alanp on August 07, 2017, 10:06:53 PM
The only cool guitars I've seen with overdrives and stuff built in, are those Space Marine ones that were posted here :)
Those are badassery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

movinginslomo

My opinion, they try a f*ck with e formula too much. Just give us regular 50's style LP's with nice burts and tops. THAT'S ALL WE WANT. Maybe some grover tuners or a tone pros bridge BUT LEAVE IT THERE. Simple works, it's worked for decades now, LEAVE IT. GAH lol

gordo

And maybe priced to be reasonable.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

alanp

The problem is a lack of built-in obsolescence.

I mean, when someone buys a "real Les Paul", they hang onto it for as long as possible. People like to buy old LP's with "tone". It's not a recipe for selling new Les Pauls all the time to people who already have them, like with iPhones. And once your target market all have Les Pauls with toan, you're going to have to manufacture a new market.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

jimilee

Quote from: alanp on August 08, 2017, 06:34:39 PM

I mean, when someone buys a "real Les Paul", they hang onto it for as long as possible. People like to buy old LP's with "tone". It's not a recipe for selling new Les Pauls all the time to people who already have them, like with iPhones. And once your target market all have Les Pauls with toan, you're going to have to manufacture a new market.
You make a good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

chris weaver

I have a strat with the clapton boost kit in it and lace sensor pickups and I love it, but it's not really the same...don't put a bumper sticker on a Mercedes benz!
A caricature is putting the face of a joke on the body of a truth. Joseph Conrad

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on August 08, 2017, 06:34:39 PM

To a lesser extent, I even think about that with things like modeling amps.  Those Kemper and AxeFX modelers are very very cool, but when the new models come out, the old ones get devalued quickly.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Aleph Null

Quote from: pickdropper on August 09, 2017, 02:47:13 PM
To a lesser extent, I even think about that with things like modeling amps.  Those Kemper and AxeFX modelers are very very cool, but when the new models come out, the old ones get devalued quickly.

Vintage gear is weird. Some things are instant classics, other things don't catch on until they are well out of production. Nobody wanted Fender offsets until recently. In the 80's, people would have made fun of you for using spring reverb—that sound is back again! Silvertone and Harmony guitars have always been trash, but people spend stupid money on them now. Gold Foil pickups? Nobody cared five years ago.

There will always be some diehard fan for any given piece of gear. I'm sure in 2050 when the Kemper BiasFX XVII comes out, someone on a forum somewhere will be opining about the good old days of primitive IR when you had to use up two whole rack spaces instead downloading it by Bluetooth to your guitar's on-board hard drive.

alanp

The TB303 and TR808 are the most famous examples of this :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

movinginslomo

Quote from: alanp on August 10, 2017, 10:18:12 AM

Yup so much so roland themselves finally made a re-issue tb-303

somnif

Quote from: movinginslomo on August 10, 2017, 03:33:35 PM
Quote from: alanp on August 10, 2017, 10:18:12 AM

Yup so much so roland themselves finally made a re-issue tb-303

And the fact that any drum-machine produced backing track is now commonly referred to simply as an "808". Which I always found a bit funny as the 808 was quite expensive and quite rare even in its hayday and most of the tracks associated with it used clones and knockoffs.

pickdropper

That's certainly true for old analog synths and early drum machines, but a lot of the old digital gear hasn't fared as well.  There may be some collecting of it, but it's still pennies on the dollar.

Check out old 90's rack mount guitar processors.  Some have bumped up a tad as people get curious about them again, but they aren't worth all that much.

It's possible the current crop of modelers will recover some value down the road, but if be shocked if they became collectors items.  I could be wrong; it wouldn't be the first time.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Aleph Null

Quote from: pickdropper on August 10, 2017, 08:04:18 PM
It's possible the current crop of modelers will recover some value down the road, but if be shocked if they became collectors items.  I could be wrong; it wouldn't be the first time.

If that's true, what do you think the fate of the mega delays and reverbs of today will be? Do you think Strymon, TC, Empress, and Eventide units will hold their value, or will shimmer become pasé like chorus did after the 80's?