News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

125B question

Started by stringsthings, August 02, 2017, 02:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringsthings

Is it possible to put a VFE circuit in a 125B, or does the use of mounted in/out jacks make this not doable?
I'm thinking that using open jacks with the same specs as the mounted ones would work, but I could be wrong.

Or perhaps, just keeping the mounted jacks, and drilling holes large enough so that the plugs just go inside the
enclosure sides.  ( pretty poor stability issues, I imagine )
All You Need Is Love

somnif

You could wire in un-mounted jacks sure, but it would leave the switching board floating. Given that it will experience a bit of a twitch from the relay every time you use it, it could eventually cause issues. Could be dealt with with clever mounting solutions, I suppose.

(Also be aware that it uses 6 pin switching jacks by design, so you'll have to play with the grounding pattern a bit to keep things happy)

BrianS

I don't see why you couldnt put it in one and use double sided tape to secure the switching board.  It seems Mouser is the only one that's carries the build jacks (I've searched and couldn't find them in stock or you have to buy 200 from someone else).  When I ordered parts for the first one I built I bought 6 jacks to build 2 more.  I really like how the VFE projects go together in a 1590b.

madbean

I was thinking of doing another drill guide for using it with non-mounted jacks for 1590B. I could include one for 125B as well. With 125B you might be able to do top-mounted jacks.

I know the newer VFE pedals use the new 1590BS which is the same size as 1590B but with the height of a 125B for top mounted jacks.

stringsthings

Quote from: somnif on August 02, 2017, 03:29:13 AM
You could wire in un-mounted jacks sure, but it would leave the switching board floating. Given that it will experience a bit of a twitch from the relay every time you use it, it could eventually cause issues. Could be dealt with with clever mounting solutions, I suppose.

(Also be aware that it uses 6 pin switching jacks by design, so you'll have to play with the grounding pattern a bit to keep things happy)

Ah ... I forgot that the switching board is separate from the effect board.   I'm sure this makes mounting easier
than if it was all on one board.   

There's no great reason why I couldn't just use 1590B's.
I'm just so used to the added build room in a 125B; it makes me lazy.

Quote from: madbean on August 02, 2017, 06:39:10 AM
I was thinking of doing another drill guide for using it with non-mounted jacks for 1590B. I could include one for 125B as well. With 125B you might be able to do top-mounted jacks.

That'd be great!   You da man!  :)
All You Need Is Love

EBK

Have you considered the 1590B2 (7mm deeper than B) or 1590BS (11mm deeper than B)?

Edit: oops. Missed the previous mention of the 1590BS...
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

sonnyboy27

If there was a top mounted template/build guide I would be forever grateful.

alanp

It's not the True Jedi Way, but you could just say hell with it and use a 3PDT, plus standard jacks :)

Or do the VFE boards not support that?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Droogie

Quote from: madbean on August 02, 2017, 06:39:10 AM

I know the newer VFE pedals use the new 1590BS which is the same size as 1590B but with the height of a 125B for top mounted jacks.

This would be fantastic! Love me some top-mounted Bs and the BS is gravy!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric