News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Poll: Alternate VFE switching board

Started by madbean, August 04, 2017, 05:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howsabout a different style switching board?

Don't bother.
1 (2.9%)
Yes, and only this.
14 (41.2%)
Yes, but have an option to choose between a hardware mounted or non-mounted board.
19 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

madbean

I'll probably run out of switching boards in October, so that presents an opportunity to change up the design a bit. I would like to have a board that does not require any hardware mounting of the jacks (my personal preference). Here's a possible way that could be done (pic below). It would require using Lumberg style 1/4" and DC jacks and there would be no battery option. The momentary switch can be wired directly to the PCB using bus wire to keep it secure. This design would also make it easier to put the projects in a 125B (and maybe the 1590BS) with top mounted jacks, if you want.

What do you guys think? Is this something you would like? Would it be better to do it this way, or have the option both styles (board mounted and non-board mounted)?

cajone5

I prefer jacks not mounted.  Great looking proto so far!

sonnyboy27

I don't use batteries so I don't mind not having that space. I'm all for a board that let's me top mount if I wanted. So count me down for the alternate.

playpunk

Looks great. I would prefer the alternate design for 2 in 1 OD use - Even though I have an enormous board the two in one thing appeals to me for space saving purposes.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

jubal81

Not sure how hard it is to get in other countries, but Smallbear sells the momentary version of the Alpha DPDT with solder lugs.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

dan.schumaker

Selfishly, I like how the boards are setup now.  But that is just because I bought jacks and parts for all of the VFE builds in bulk :) 

But if the switching board opens up for other MBP projects, then I'm for it.

BrianS

I'm with Dan and I to like the board mounted jacks and that would be my preference. But I have a lot of the lumberg jacks on hand so it's not a big deal.  Just less wire to solder, the likelihood of a signal fault is real low and I'm probably one of the few on here that prefers side mounted jacks.  I know offering both would not be good for business though. 

In the end I just love the soft switching. 

gordo

Don't think I have a preference but not having board mounted jacks keeps it viable for a lot of projects.  Without sounding like I'm on a soapbox we should be over batteries by now.  I'm definitely a new convert to soft switching and have been getting goofy replacing 3pdt's with the Coda.  This is a nice 'nother option.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

greenskull

I actually voted for the "option", 'cause I know some folks like those little 1590b's.
If I had a choice, I would go with non-mounted jacks and use my beloved 125b enclosure due to more wiggle room between the boards.
I dread drilling tight tolerances, especially on the sides.

Jules

I have also bought bulk amounts of currently used jacks etc. from Mouser.
I also like to have the battery option (understandably unpopular these days for environmental reasons)
So yeah, I am pretty happy with the current design also, my vote would be to do both if possible.
I understand that can make the ordering trickier as well.
Thanks for asking though, 1 of the things I love about Madbean pedals is that Brian always asks for our opinions on these things.
Great work.

BrianS

OH YEAH!!!! The option votes are catching up LOL.  Democracy at its finest.

Droogie

I have enough board-mount jacks for 5 builds, but I would gladly trade for the ability to top mount the jacks and save space!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

madbean

Okay, so what I am going to do is offer both options since that seems to be the popular choice. However, the original switching is being re-designed with a few updates.

- It will include board mounted I/O jacks like the original.
- It won't require the "SM" style jack on the input or workaround for non-SM jacks.
- It will not have a mounted DC Jack - wired only.
- It will have a battery option (ugh, gross).
- It uses 1/4W resistors instead of 1/8W and 5mm caps instead of 2.5mm.

jalmonsalmon

Both options will use the pic / silent switch thing? (ditch those 3PDT's!)
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .