News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Arcadiator troubleshoot

Started by Kyuss, August 05, 2017, 12:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyuss

Hi all!

I'm nick from the Netherlands. This week i build my first treble booster with succes. Right now i'm working on the Arcadiator that i also bought at Musikding. This one is a little harder and noe i need some help :)

First of all: is there a way to uploadphoto's from my iphone here?
2: the input and outputjacks are both mono, while the scheme describre astereo input with ground. What now?

3:the dc does not contain grounding in contrary to the scheme. No problem?
4:there is no batteryclip included (?) Can i just leave it of or does this change anything?

Thank you!

I'm sorry, i don't think the manual is made for rookies like me

BrianS

For pictures you have to use a web hosting site.  You can use tapatalk.

The stereo jack is if you want to add a battery to the build.  You can still use a stereo jack use just don't use the ring lug.  On the mono jacks the tip is for input/output and the sleeve is for ground.

As far as the D.C. is concerned if there is no dedicated ground for the D.C. Jack you will have to run the board ground to the D.C. Jack then to the input jack then to the 3pdt switch.  It necessarily doesn't have to go in that order but all 3 points need to be grounded.  Sometimes you have to ground the output jack also but not normally.

You don't have to use a battery.

There's a 3pdt wiring tutorial here that might help you understand things better.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/index.html

Don't hesitate to ask questions if you're having problems.

BrianS

Here's another sire that has a couple of really good beginner tutorials.

http://www.guitarpcb.com

Kyuss

No sound. No light. No bypassed signal. Not good :(

Little help?

Thanks for the tapatalk; great app!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

BrianS

1) you need to switch you power wires around.  99% of pedals you build are a negative center on the jack.  If they're not it should be documented in the build doc.  On those Boss type jacks the negative goes to the small lug and the positive goes to the long lug.

2) all your ICs are turned the wrong way. 

Try fixing those 2 things and see if it fires up.

BrianS

I spoke to soon.  All your diodes except D3 are upside down.  The black line on the Diode or gray on the 4001 follow the silk screen on the board.

Kyuss

Thanks man. I change those 3things and then we'll see :)

BrianS

Last, be careful taking the diodes out.  If you don't have a solder sucker I myself wouldn't try to get them out until you have one.  It's sometimes a real bitch trying to remove soldered components and if you over heat the board you can lift a pad which will cause further problems (I have ruined more than a few boards trying to get stuff out). If you are having problems getting the solder to flow when you're removing them just add a little more solder to the ends. 

Don't beat yourself up over the problems I pointed out.  It's all a learning process and when you've build 30 pedals you'll still do things you can't believe.

But do read those tutorials I recommended.  It will really help you understand the basics on things.

BrianS

Where about do you live in Holland Nick?

Kyuss

Quote from: BrianS on August 06, 2017, 05:58:20 AM
Where about do you live in Holland Nick?
Thanks Brian. I fucked 1 diode up. Its a bitch to unsolder them, even with a soldersucker. I hope i didnt screw the board, (doesnt look like it)

I just buy a new one.

The grey one was also upside down?

I live in Arnhem; the east of the netherlands :)

BrianS

the 4001 d-5 had the black stripe up on it on the build doc I looked at on the Parasit website.  The first pedal I built was a kit and I did the same thing with the diodes.  It's a real pain taking things out.  As long as the pad is still there you'll be ok.  If you lift one you can still fix everything to work by running wire between points. 

Arnhem. A real nice city.  I lived in Veghel for 3 years back in the late 70s.  My wife's sister (she's an American) still lives over there in  Midelaar close to Gennep. She's been there for 40 years now.  My wife was just over there in Jun/Jul visiting her.

Rockhorst is a member on here and I believe he lives around Utrecht. 

Kyuss

I'm from a town nearby Veghel :) but in the Netherlands everything is nearby....

Arcadiator works! Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately the 'into the unknown' doesnt:-| no leds, no power. Only signal in bypas mode. DC is negative center (when i measure + and - they are connected; is that the problem?)
Also i dont know where the CV IN and the ENV OUT are for

Thx

Kyuss

I also wired the + of the LEDS to the squares and the - to the circle: hope thats good

BrianS

Good you got the one pedal working.  I build an into the unknown a while back and I never could get it to work right.

1) not insulting your intelligence but are the D.C. Wires on the correct lug, + long - short? It's hard to tell. 
2) the + leg of the led goes to the square.  That would be the longer of the 2 led legs.  You can also identify it by looking at the led itself.  The part that looks like a small golf tee flag (on some) is the + side.  There is also a flat side on the lens case and that is the - side.  Cut the legs back on your leds.  They look close to grounding out on the resistors. 
3) the cv and env pads are for future mods.  You don't have to do anything with them for your build.
4) not following you on the measuring the voltage statement.
5) when powered and you put your multi meter probes on the + and - of the D.C. Jack you should get 9v or whatever the power is that's being supplied.  Go to the 3pdt board and you should have power there on the pads also.  Earlier this year I had a similar problem and one of the power diodes was bad.  But from looking at the pictures it looks like you have the wires on the wrong lugs of the D.C. Jack.  I could be wrong.

I do not see anything out of whack component wise. 

Kyuss

Lookslike you're right. The odd thing is: i changed them because the pedal wasnt working, now i ll have to change them back :)

When i set the measuringtool to "connect" / "sound" / "bleep" and i connect one side to the + of the dc and the other side to the - i hear a sound, which meand that the plus andminus are connected. Isn't that strange?