News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE Switch Board doc update 8.7

Started by madbean, August 07, 2017, 06:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I noticed that the 47uF low-ESR caps in the Mouser Project linked in the Switching Board doc are no longer in stock. So, I have added two alternates; a 10uF and 22uF. Both are low-profile and low-ESR. You can use either one but you don't need to order both values. The 47uF is still listed in the Mouser Project in case it does come back in stock anytime soon.

Fuad

Can these be subbed with 47 uF tantalum caps?

madbean

Yes, you can use tantalum. There are low-ESR tants as well. Just be sure to put them in the right way.

somnif

Do you need 1 or 2 caps? Looking at the schematic I can only see 1, and your pic of the choral reef build only shows one, but the switching board document says "(qty 2)" in reference to it.

Never mind, duh, I realize needing 2 would be for the split rail supply style. Sorry, pedaling at 3am.

somnif

Would this cap work in place of the Mouser component? https://www.arrow.com/en/products/nsrz470m25v6.3x5f/nic-components

Its datasheet lists its max impedance as 0.47 ohms, compared to the 1.3 ohms of the Nichicon cap. (Assuming I'm reading the datasheets right, anyway)

madbean

brucer

Quote from: madbean on August 07, 2017, 06:17:58 AM
I noticed that the 47uF low-ESR caps in the Mouser Project linked in the Switching Board doc are no longer in stock. So, I have added two alternates; a 10uF and 22uF. Both are low-profile and low-ESR. You can use either one but you don't need to order both values. The 47uF is still listed in the Mouser Project in case it does come back in stock anytime soon.

Sorry if I'm missing an obvious point, but ... am I reading this correctly as: it's okay to sub either a 10uF low-ESR cap OR a 22uF low-ESR cap for the BOM's 47uF cap?  Seems like a big value change, so thought best to check.

madbean

They will all work about the same. In the charge pump design one electro supplies the pump with a constant voltage and the other decouples the output from ground to supply the circuit. The difference is using 10uF, 22uF or 47uF should not have much impact on the voltage output (I typically use 10uF and the Klon even uses 1uF). Using the suggested low-ESR type probably has more influence on the output that the particular value chosen for the two caps.

hasanova

Is it okay to use a 100uF (35v) electro in stead of the 150uF (25v), because the 150uF electro's I have from Tayda are 10x12mm with 5mm lead spacing; too big.
The 100uF electro's I have in stock are 6x11mm with 2.5mm lead spacing. These will fit under the board.

madbean