News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quick question, Moodring, expression pedal

Started by Boba7, August 09, 2017, 10:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boba7

Hey, just a quick question for you guys

If i want to add an expression jack to control the depth (Ring) of my Moodring, would the pot value of the expression pedal matter much?

The Ring pot is 100k, and is wired as a voltage divider. Most expression pedals are 10k I believe.

I've never experimented with expression pedals but I understand that in the case of a variable resistor you want the exact same value, and in the case of a voltage divider it doesnt matter. But a 10k for a 100k?

I guess I can just try but right now Im on holidays, so Im just planning my next builds in my head... cant stop, cant stop haha :D

WormBoy

So the pot in the expression pedal would take the place of the ring pot? If the pot in the expression pedal is wired as a voltage divider as well (so it needs an input, output and ground fed from the moodring circuit), I see no harm in trying: it should work, though it may sound a little different than a 100k pot.

Boba7

Quote from: WormBoy on August 09, 2017, 11:05:39 AM
So the pot in the expression pedal would take the place of the ring pot? If the pot in the expression pedal is wired as a voltage divider as well (so it needs an input, output and ground fed from the moodring circuit), I see no harm in trying: it should work, though it may sound a little different than a 100k pot.

Yep, the expression pedal would take the place of the original pot. I'll have to give it a try, maybe just try a 10k pot on the moodring first to see how it affects the sound (cause that's the thing, I can't imagine in what way it would change the sound)

Thanks for the answer.

WormBoy

Quote from: Boba7 on August 09, 2017, 12:25:38 PM
(cause that's the thing, I can't imagine in what way it would change the sound)
I have a feeling this is an impedance thing, but somebody knowledgeable should answer that  ???. I always understood that different values of volume pot can affect the sound of a circuit (probably especially the treble content).

Boba7

Quote from: WormBoy on August 09, 2017, 01:14:35 PM
I have a feeling this is an impedance thing, but somebody knowledgeable should answer that  ???. I always understood that different values of volume pot can affect the sound of a circuit (probably especially the treble content).

Yep, same here. I understand how the value of a volume pot after a cap can act as a filter, but here I cant imagine. Just have to try then!