News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3 broken pedals I'm trying to fix

Started by octa805, August 09, 2017, 05:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octa805

I picked up a few broken pedals as projects. I've looked at them a bit but could use some guidance on next steps. Here are the pedals and their current condition. Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

Fender FRV-1:: This actually works, just the volume is about 1/3rd of what it should be. I'm guessing this isn't true bypass since the volume is lowered even if the effect is off. I want to believe this might be something as easy as a loose pot or jack connection.

Sonic Stomp:: This passes signal when off but nothing when turned on. Turning knobs makes some nice crackles. Opening it up and moving wires when turned on makes some small crackles. Previous owner thinks he blew something by plugging it into wrong, higher, power source. Check caps?

Boss CE-5:: Does nothing when on. Previous owner had tried switching cap values and in the process looks like he lifted a trace on the board. It's in a real tight area and the trace itself is pretty dang thin. Try and solder in a new wire in it's place? I think the pad might be lifted as well.

Can provide pics if needed. Thanks!

AntKnee

I'd take an audio probe to the first two and see if signal is getting anywhere. The CE5 will probably need to messed caps removed so you can check the traces for continuity, then go from there.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

somnif

If its a lifted trace on the Boss it may end up being a pain. I've found it can lead to discontinuities in the thru-hole plating, so you have to worry about maintaining the connection on both sides of the board. Which given the tightness of their designs means wanting to hide behind the couch whimpering at the prospect of the work.

octa805

quick update w/ more questions. Thanks!

Fender FRV-1:: This actually works, just the volume is about 1/3rd of what it should be. I'm guessing this isn't true bypass since the volume is lowered even if the effect is off. I want to believe this might be something as easy as a loose pot or jack connection. --Update---I did an audio probe here and even on just the jack input, before it hits the board, the signal is about 1/3rd strength. Maybe just reflow it?

Sonic Stomp:: This passes signal when off but nothing when turned on. Turning knobs makes some nice crackles. Opening it up and moving wires when turned on makes some small crackles. Previous owner thinks he blew something by plugging it into wrong, higher, power source. Check caps? Update--Checked w/ audio probe. I got good signal right up until the first opamp, TL072P. Was having a brain fart on tracking the signal past there. What pins should signal be going in and out on this?

Boss CE-5:: Does nothing when on. Previous owner had tried switching cap values and in the process looks like he lifted a trace on the board. It's in a real tight area and the trace itself is pretty dang thin. Try and solder in a new wire in it's place? I think the pad might be lifted as well. Update--ok, somehow I was wrong. This thing works when on. No signal when off. I'm guessing it's cause it's such a cluster where he replaced the cap. Tried audio probe but man.....this board is tiny and has a million parts, many of which I can't access. I think the pads got fried off of the board. This might be too much for me. Any ideas welcome

bsoncini

Google is your friend. Look up the pinout fro the 072. 2/3 and 5/6 are inputs depending how it's how it's configured and 1 and 7 are outputs

octa805

Thanks man. Just been so long since I've played w/ pedal guts I forgot all the terms to even google stuff

octa805

Making progress on sonic stomp. Replaced a couple caps and now I'm getting faint signal when turned on. I am going to try and replace all the electrolytics and hope that does it.

The CE-5 I need help on. I think I could get away with jumpering it if I could figure out how and where. The pad and trace are toast. Where do I jumper to? And how on a board like this with micro everything?