News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zen drive with wood veneer finish

Started by Thomas3D, August 16, 2017, 01:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas3D

Board from GrindcustomsFX. I used a spray-able finish instead of epoxy. Epoxy, although it gives a nice thick smooth finish, is harder to work with and sometimes its too thick for the threads on certain pots or switches. So I went with Rust-Oleum Clear Triple Thick Spray and couldn't be happier; dry to the touch in 20 minutes and it goes on pretty thick where one or two coats is enough. Beats messy epoxy that takes days to dry.

The gain pot functionality is backwards, (counter clock-wise gives more gain) so I might still do something to change that by swapping lugs 1 and 3.

jimilee

I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

stringsthings

Nice. 

I've got some of those 3pdt.com boards too!
All You Need Is Love

oip

adjustable swank!  great design

never tried epoxy i don't think i have the patience, might look into this extra thick spray

gordo

Is it me, or does looking at those knobs make you hungry?

Very cool idea and thanks for the tip on the spray.  I'll look for it.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

mrclean77

Very slick build - the wood looks awesome! I like laying my caps over like that as well.

I've tried several different types of clear in the last few months and am still deciding which I prefer. Just recently did E-tex, but I'm not sure I have the patience to do that all the time, lol. I have a Rust-oleum brush on clear (that may be the triple thick stuff) that I have used that dries fairly quickly. I do a coat, throw it in the toaster over for ~10 min, then repeat 6-8x. No patience needed and comes out pretty glassy/sturdy.

Thomas3D

It's the one with the blue ceramic vase http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/triple-thick-glaze/ on it. Directions say it dries to the touch in 20 minutes, I can confirm it indeed does. I'd still wait longer than that before final assembly as it still could be a little plyable to metal nuts under tension. But so far its working very well for my needs.