News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Am I being a total JA about this?

Started by BrianS, August 11, 2017, 12:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianS

I received this Gibson ES137 Memphis shop guitar from a big online music store and this is what I found when I opened the case.

The seal was broken. I have no idea what all this junk is inside the case and the last picture is what I rubbed up with my hand.

They'll take it back but I'm I being a little over board if I return it?  When I opened it and saw this it sort of blew the excitement of the new guitar. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zigcat

If there is not any damage, I would still try to get a good discount. Yeah, I would be pissed if I spent that much money and got a filthy, unsealed guitar.

This is a definite "what are you going to do to make this right?" situation.

blearyeyes

Something sacred about a new guitar. Hey did you call the number on the security sticker?

jimilee

Quote from: Zigcat on August 11, 2017, 12:55:37 AM
If there is not any damage, I would still try to get a good discount. Yeah, I would be pissed if I spent that much money and got a filthy, unsealed guitar.

This is a definite "what are you going to do to make this right?" situation.
If here's no damage, yeah, a healthy discount would be in order.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Droogie

Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

midwayfair

You should think about calling the number on the box after speaking with the store.

The problem isn't that you found crap all over the guitar in the box. It's that someone opened the guitar box. Why did they do that? Was it to provide a set-up for the guitar, or was this from a supplier that ships stuff out from a factory and you should expect it to have the factory setup and not a store setup? If that's the case then it's probably dumb that they used the original box, because that makes it look suspicious.

Here's where my brain went: What if you got cheap copies made of an expensive Gibson guitar, and sold the cheap one by mail and the expensive one in the store? That's why that sticker's on the box: It's so that you know you're getting the guitar you paid for.

jubal81

Agree with Jon. I'd absolutely return it.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

BrianS

I did call the Gibson number and got a voice recording.  I had to go to practice so I emailed the store and then chatted with a rep (and I have a copy of the chat transcript) who said they would take it back.  I asked her if this was shipped by them or was it drop shipped from Gibson and she said the later.  I also asked if she would have a store rep call me tomorrow and she said they did not call customers, that I would have to call.  I found that a little strange but what the hell.  The neck on the guitar just doesn't look right either where the fretboard is glued to the neck.  It's not parralel and smooth between the two.  Maybe I'm just expecting to much LOL.

Thanks for confirming my thought process here is not off base.  I am really leery of this thing now and I'm not sure they will discount it enough for me to keep it.  This is not a bash against Gibson but if this is the way they ship their suppose to be better guitars it really just sucks. 

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

BrianS

Good question. I just went back and pushed on the black pieces with a screw driver and they're hard.  I know mice can get into tight places but this is a bit of a stretch getting into a closed case unless it was left open.  There's no hole in the case so no entry point. Who the heck knows but you have excellent investigative powers Grody.

bela1961

I would suggest two options here.
1) have the instrument checked out by a qualified luthier, if you really want to keep it.
2) Tell Gibson you want a brand new guitar with seals intact and a letter of authenticity signed and dated by the final inspector .
If they baulk , at all, tell them the pictures are going to hit the web asap. In truth they should be bending over backwards to accommodate you. Orville would be rolling in his grave.

EBK

Quote from: BrianS on August 11, 2017, 12:12:30 AM
When I opened it and saw this it sort of blew the excitement of the new guitar. 
I'd return it for this reason alone.  You're never going to be as excited about that guitar as you'd like to be, so it has less value than what you paid for.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

BrianS

Its on its way back.  After a 20 minute phone discussion with one of the reps he said it didn't drop ship from Gibson, they had it in their warehouse and it should not have been shipped that way.  I wasn't real upset about the whole ordeal because lets face it I have several other guitars I can play. I was more agitated on why someone from their company could not call me back and, to me, the seemingly nonchalant customer service.  So lesson learned.  Gibson also returned my call about the situation but it wasn't on them and Bob said they get quite a few calls on the broken seal.  Appreciate everyone's response on this.

jimilee

That's great. You're doing a great thing for everyone that orders Gibsons and is me with disappointment.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

Anyone else get a minor chuckle from "Gibson Security" on that sticker?  ;D

They're probably armed with "axes", so I wouldn't laugh in their faces....
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber