News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Katana Boost Volume Pot Question

Started by chordball, August 12, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chordball

Hey everyone, I've searched but haven't found an answer so Im asking for a little help.

On the Katana boost, the stock volume pot is 250kB. I've seen it suggested that an audio taper is better. I don't have a 250kA pot but I do have a 100kA pot. Can anyone tell me what difference it would make to use a 100k volume pot vs 250k?

I'm working on a perf layout for the Katana with adjustable gain and switchable boost caps. I'll share it when I finish.

Thanks in advance for any help.

midwayfair

Quote from: chordball on August 12, 2017, 08:41:55 AMI've seen it suggested that an audio taper is better.

Better in what way? Try both. see which one you like.

The point of a booster is to boost, though. An audio taper will put unity closer to noon. What do you need unity volume for on a booster?

chordball

Quote from: midwayfair on August 12, 2017, 02:56:33 PM
Quote from: chordball on August 12, 2017, 08:41:55 AMI've seen it suggested that an audio taper is better.

Better in what way? Try both. see which one you like.

The point of a booster is to boost, though. An audio taper will put unity closer to noon. What do you need unity volume for on a booster?

I see your point about the taper so I will try them both. In the meantime, where could I find some info on the effects of the volume pot value?

midwayfair

Quote from: chordball on August 12, 2017, 08:01:56 PMwhere could I find some info on the effects of the volume pot value?

The output impedance of the effect is 4.7k.

Plug 4.7 in as the top leg of a voltage divider, and 100K versus 250K in as the lower leg, and decide if it will make a big enough difference to care about.