News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Into the RetroPie rabbit hole?

Started by madbean, August 12, 2017, 06:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I think this is probably not terribly legal. Honestly, I don't know. But, oh lord, it looks like fun.

Zigcat

It may be illegal, but when Nintendo purposely makes their product collectible and produces in limited amounts that could never satisfy demand, I don't feel bad.

vizcities

zombiesonore

Funny, I have built a complete system with RecalBox (RetroPie ready to use for RPi) for a friend last week.
I KNOW it's not legal, but I've found a torrent with 6666 ROMs so he can know waste his life like he wanted... and I think there's exactly the same number of games for SNES that I saw in your pictures... ;-)
For those interested, RecalBox works great!

juansolo

Grab a Pi3 and install retropie 4. Tis a marvellous thing. I've gone through several iterations before getting to that.

http://juansolo.co.uk/geekery/picade.html

Also there's now a cheaper power solution to the one I used. Can just do it with a momentary switch. I'll have to find the link to that.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

EBRAddict

juan is correct. The miniature emulators are based on the Pi Zero or Zero Wireless. The Pi 3 is 4 core @ 1.2GHz and the Pi Zero is 1 core @ 1GHz. The Pi3 has 1GB of RAM compared to 512MB on the Pi Zero. Performance-wise the Pi3 is the way to go.

matmosphere

Oh man, something like that is tempting. I remember people used to argue it was legal if you owned a physical copy of the game. Wonder if there's any truth to that?

dont-tase-me-bro

Up up down down left right right a b b a select start
I thought this would save me money.

thesmokingman

I ended up gifting mine to the kids because it was soaking up more time than I had to spare. I'll probably cave and buy a used 64 bit computer with more power and run ubuntu/retropie so I can have respectable results from the n64 emulation
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

juansolo

Quote from: Matmosphere on August 13, 2017, 06:28:30 AM
Oh man, something like that is tempting. I remember people used to argue it was legal if you owned a physical copy of the game. Wonder if there's any truth to that?

Gonna be on shaky ground with a lot of it legally because for the arcade machines, technically wouldn't you have to have the actual boards kicking around?

That said, at what point does something become abandonware. The Atari that made arcade machines is long gone. Technically current Atari (Infogrammes IIRC) *might* have bought the licenses for everything, we don't know. Are they likely to give a shit about someone running the roms from a 35+ year old out of production arcade machine on a $30 Raspberry Pi? Probably not. They might take exception if you were trying to sell a shitload of them however.

Same goes for a lot of things. I probably have knocking on 1000 original video games. However I'll be first to admit that I've probably got more than that running on flash carts and CDRs for old systems. The market for old video games has gone stupid. I bought the flash card when I was trying to get SNES carts and some of the games were already £150-500 a piece. Don't even think about buying for the Neo Geo AES, some of those are well into the thousands. The thing with those is that the original makers aren't making a penny on them, it's all just speculators and price gougers. Where I can buy games for sensible money I will buy them. Which is why I have no problem with my piracy when people take the piss.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

EBRAddict

For US residents, Arrow Electronics has a 20% on the Raspberry Pi 3 plus free next day air shipping. Code is PI20. Some states have to pay sales tax, many do not.

https://www.arrow.com/en/research-and-events/videos/20-off-raspberry-pi-3

lego4040

I have been bitten by the pi3 as well. I bought the parts for building a arcade game fighting controller too. I added Kodi to the screen scroll instead of being in the drop down menu. . I need to do an update but I love the NeoGeo League Bowling and BombJack and all that old arcade stuff. I was there for this culture in NYC when it all happened. We used to hit the arcades in Times Square, game rooms and Bowling alleys. There was some serious cash to be made in competitions. I was Junior HighShool from 80-82 and HS from 82-86

matmosphere

Quote from: lego4040 on September 06, 2017, 08:15:46 AM
I have been bitten by the pi3 as well. I bought the parts for building a arcade game fighting controller too. I added Kodi to the screen scroll instead of being in the drop down menu. . I need to do an update but I love the NeoGeo League Bowling and BombJack and all that old arcade stuff. I was there for this culture in NYC when it all happened. We used to hit the arcades in Times Square, game rooms and Bowling alleys. There was some serious cash to be made in competitions. I was Junior HighShool from 80-82 and HS from 82-86

Neo Geo League Bowling is one of the greatest games!! It's ridiculously fun and simple as hell.

Time to look into this stuff

culturejam

Bumping this because I've been looking into the whole Retro Pie thing (again).

For this, I'm not looking to do much DIY. I would prefer to buy a complete or nearly complete system. Could one of you gents with some knowledge point in the direction of some more-or-less turnkey options? I mainly want to use it to play older arcade games, NES, and SNES. I figure I can start off with something pre-built and then expand to a crazy control console if I get the notion.

Thanks!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects