News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Drillpress vs. pre-drilled enclosures

Started by Tuxedo3, August 15, 2017, 11:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxedo3

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between buying predrilled enclosures when I get them made or buying a cheaper drillpress to use. The drillpress seems like the better option in terms of money, but will obviously take more time. I'm also a bit unsure as to how to clamp my pedals down if I were to get a press, any advice or insight?

dan.schumaker

I say invest in a little drill press.  Even a cheap one from Harbor Freight will do the job.  It will pay for itself in a few builds.

As far as clamping goes, I've never had a problem just holding onto the enclosure as I drill (and I still have all my fingers  :) )

matmosphere

I use a hand drill, a 1/8" bit for pilot holes and a $5 harbor freight stepping bit to get everything sized right. I just hold everything by hand too, it's much easier to hold it by hand with the stepping bit than it was with the regular bits.

I have a drill press assembly to use with my dremel and it works very well but the stepping but is much less fuss.

Betty Wont

Quote from: Matmosphere on August 15, 2017, 12:15:26 PM
I use a hand drill, a 1/8" bit for pilot holes and a $5 harbor freight stepping bit to get everything sized right. I just hold everything by hand too, it's much easier to hold it by hand with the stepping bit than it was with the regular bits.

I have a drill press assembly to use with my dremel and it works very well but the stepping but is much less fuss.
Me too. Hand drill and step bit, with a spring punch to score the centers.

flanagan0718

Quote from: dan.schumaker on August 15, 2017, 12:02:09 PM
I say invest in a little drill press.  Even a cheap one from Harbor Freight will do the job.  It will pay for itself in a few builds.

As far as clamping goes, I've never had a problem just holding onto the enclosure as I drill (and I still have all my fingers  :) )

This 100% this! haha. I still have all my fingers too! While you are there, do yourself a favor and buy the stepper drill bit set. its sub $20 and worth every penny.

selfdestroyer

When I was in the same debate as you I went to Harbor Freight and looked at their smaller bench top presses. I decided to giggles to go across the street to Sears and found they had a Craftsman 10" Drill Press for $35 more than the Harbor Freight one. I decided that the I rather deal with Sears for warranty crap if needed than Harbor Freight.

Don't discount places like Lowes, Sears and Osh since they have good sales from time to time. Don't get me wrong, I love Harbor Freight and a bunch of my stuff comes from them but quality and warranty sometimes trump price.

stringsthings

I also recommend the step drill bit set.  I got mine from Harbor Freight.
Saves so much time.  They do need cleaning occasionally from bits of metal that get
stuck to the cutting edges, but that's not a problem.  You can also lubricate the bits
( WD-40 works well .. or just plain H20 ) for tougher metals.   

The standard pedal enclosures drill very nicely.
All You Need Is Love

matmosphere

Quote from: stringsthings on August 15, 2017, 04:14:51 PM
I also recommend the step drill bit set.  I got mine from Harbor Freight.
Saves so much time.  They do need cleaning occasionally from bits of metal that get
stuck to the cutting edges, but that's not a problem.  You can also lubricate the bits
( WD-40 works well .. or just plain H20 ) for tougher metals.   

The standard pedal enclosures drill very nicely.

How do you clean the stepped bits? Mine has a little build up but I've been afraid to try anything cause I don't want to dull it.

somnif

Quote from: Matmosphere on August 15, 2017, 04:43:08 PM
How do you clean the stepped bits? Mine has a little build up but I've been afraid to try anything cause I don't want to dull it.

I just sort of chip off any aluminum that builds up on the edges using my solder probe (it just pops off). I highly doubt its an optimal method but... well I bought this drill bit set for 8$ so I'm not terribly concerned about long term life span on them, and its better than just leaving the dross on the bit.

junkemail86

Stupid question.  What does a spring punch do exactly? 
I currently use one of these things to make a smaller initial hole (actually can usually do large enough for pots with a little effort) then drill to enlarge with a stepped bit.  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200635671_200635671

Does a spring punch make a full thickness hole or just a dent to hold your drill tip?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: junkemail86 on August 15, 2017, 05:27:34 PM
Does a spring punch make a full thickness hole or just a dent to hold your drill tip?

Just makes a dent for your drill bit.

This is a spring loaded one you can get at harbor freight

Cody

somnif

The Harbor Freight one is ok, but I found mine really frustrating. After a few uses it stopped "springing" correctly and never quite worked right again. Ended up buying a 10$ one from amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02638A-Automatic-Center-Adjustable/dp/B008DXYOLC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1502843852&sr=8-5&keywords=center+punch ) that has lasted me much longer (and the plastic end cap makes it much kinder on the hand)

davent

You can do just as well with a hand drill but a drillpress is such a joy, why i waited so long to get one i'll never know. Currently building a nice big 'drillpress' table so drilling larger wood projects is easier.

I'm a sinner as well and handhold to drill, i'm stepping through 1/32" bit increases, how much torque can there be?

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

kgull

Yep, a set of these, a small drill bit and a hand drill is enough for pretty much all of my builds. I have a small desktop drillpress at home but for enclosures I never use it.

Tuxedo3