News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

One dirt pedal to rule them all? Guitar/Bass/Cello

Started by Jopn, August 15, 2017, 01:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jopn

I just got a cello with a pickup, and my guitar and bass pedalboards have been in disarray for at least a year now. So I'm building a simple grab n go board with tuner/comp/dirt/delay.

What would you guys suggest for a good dirt pedal that does medium OD -> medium distortion that can double duty both on guitar and bass? My guitar amp is solid state (but in my defense, it's the Johnny Greenwood Fender 85) so nothing that's tone relies heavily on overdriving the amp's preamp (klon, TS, etc.). The input signal will also be buffered, if that makes a difference (it shouldn't as I'm not getting into fuzzface territory!).

So... thoughts?

matmosphere

Not sure exactly what would fit the bill but I totally want to here how a cello sounds with a violet rams head Muff now.  ;D

Jopn

Quote from: Matmosphere on August 15, 2017, 01:12:10 PM
Not sure exactly what would fit the bill but I totally want to here how a cello sounds with a violet rams head Muff now.  ;D

Ok yes, that does sound awesome. Maybe I'll build my dirt pedal in a 1590bb and slip a fuzz into there too ;)

somnif

For a mix of OD and distortion,  there are waaaaaay too many options for a quick answer. But for playing well across several instruments,  I'd wager simpler is better, perhaps something like the DOD250/MXR Distortion+

jimilee

Green Russian, big bass overdrive, or Buick bass overdrive. Also, a unicorn tears klon are my favs for bass. You could throw a switch for the input cap if you wanted to have it be switchable for bass or guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Jopn

Ohhh, I like the suggestion of a Dist+! I could quickly breadboard that and mess with the values and components until I'm happy.

And putting in switches for input/output caps is definitely on the radar!

BrianS

Bugg (a member on here) might still have some Thermionic boards (BEOD) and it's a great distortion pedal.

somnif

One thing to note about the DOD250/Dist+ is that the gain knob is also essentially a tone control, such that at low gain you have a more bassy response, and high gain a more trebly one.

This means it can be a bit fiddly with some instruments at some settings. My LP loves the little dirtbox, but it gets a bit shrill with my tele, for example. This can usually be rectified by playing with your amp's settings a bit, and isn't a deal killer of course, but you may want to be aware of it.

An alternative could be to use a circuit with some built in EQ function. The Marshall Guv'nor/Drivemaster is a place I could suggest looking, goes from a nice barely-warm OD sound, to a fairly high gain distortion sound.(The Shredmaster is also in the same family, but tends to run a bit hotter and has a more aggressive clipping stage so it doesn't cleanup quite as well. Alternatively the Bluesbreaker is also part of this group but is quite low gain and really works best when doubled-up ala King of Tone style).

Given the differing characters between a guitar, a bass, and a cello I'd say having a bit of extra control can't hurt. I'm personally fond of Aion's Drivemaster board (the Equinox) as I like shoving ridiculous numbers of knobs in 1590B sized enclosures

matmosphere

i agree the drivemaster would be a good place to start.

Jopn

Ah, good call on the EQ section! See... I knew you guys were smart, despite what the other forums say ;)

Holy smokes Aion Electronics has exploded since I've browsed there last! I bought a few boards from him when he first launched with 5(?) projects. I'll probably put in an order for a few with him now too!

cajone5

midwayfair

If I had to split the difference between a bass and a guitar for medium distortion, I'd probably use the slow Loris. Z

I mostly prefer amp emulators but those aren't usually good for both instruments.

Droogie

Have you checked out the BYOC Crown Jewel? Very versatile with a parametric midrange, clipping options and selectable boost modules. I built one on vero w/out boost and it's fantastic.

No affiliation on my part with BYOC, btw, IYKWIM.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

NFX

Newbury Effects

culturejam

Quote from: Matmosphere on August 15, 2017, 01:12:10 PM

Maybe it sounds like a Violin Ram's Head??  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects