News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Remote controlled expression pedal switcher

Started by Mikro93, August 18, 2017, 04:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikro93

Hi everyone,

I've had this idea for quite a while, it is time to get it out there and get some ideas.

Here is my situation : I use the Boss MS-3, which is a great multi-effect/switcher, and which I combine with some outboard pedals, DIY or not.

The MS-3 does take up to 2 expression pedal inputs to assign to various internal paramaters. However, it does not have an expression output, like the ES-5 or ES-8 have, that could allow for some routing of the expression signal to external effects.

One of my external pedals is a lowpass filter, and I want to use it with an expression pedal. So far, I've been using two expression pedals, one for the filter and one for the MS-3, which is too much for my taste.

Final thing: the MS-3 has two CTL outputs, which are made for switching channels on an amp, and which I don't use and probably never will.

Therefore, I'm thinking of a device which would feature:
- One expression pedal input (i.e. TRS jack) and two outputs, to route the expression signal between the MS-3 and the filter;
- One CTL input for remote switching by the mS-3, which would involve relays, I believe;
- A few controls on the top, maybe a footswitch, for some manual switching between the two outputs.

My guess is that this would look a lot like a stereo A/B/Y switcher (with TRS jacks), but with an extra footswitch input for the MS-3. This should'nt be too hard to do, even for me.

But I'm a noob as far as relay switching is concerned, and I wonder how the "priority" between external switching and internal switching by a footswitch would behave...

I would be glad to hear what you guys think :)

Cheers,
Mik

Mikro93

Quick update here:

I ordered an A/B/Y kit which I will convert to stereo as a first step. I might be able to get around the fact that it won't be remote controlled. We'll see :)