News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy help: passing no signal, no delay

Started by Tuxedo3, August 18, 2017, 07:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxedo3

Hey guys, I'm in serious need of some help with my aquaboy build. I began the calibration process (by probing the MN3005 to set the bias trim) and got a completely dead signal. No hum from my pickups or anything. I tried just about everything I can imagine. I've included a photo of my board and all my voltages for every IC to prove I'm not crazy. Does anyone have insight into this? I'll gladly answer questions about the build.

alanp

You need signal in/out wires soldered to the bottom pads. Don't know which, though, those confuse the hell out of me.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Ralfg

Yeah I agree with Alanp. You could test directly from the I and O pads. The jacks pass through to the switch, so you won't get signal passing through from just the jack inputs. Hope that makes sense.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

Adam_DIY

I had the same issue recently you need to hookup your input from your test rig to S and output to R.

Tuxedo3

Awesome info guys thank you. I'm getting delay passing now, but I have different issues.
When I plug it in and turn it on the delay sounds great and works for about 5-6 minutes, then it eventually just stops passing delay and it just clean guitar. It will go between signal with and without delay every few minutes or so. I also get a high pitched whine when I disengage the pedal, which, first off I thought only happened when it was engaged. Second, I thought I took care of when I adjusted the "Clock" trimpot.

Tuxedo3

Here's where I think the problem is stemming from. While following the calibration directions I set the "clock" trim to 6.5khz, and the "cancel" and "bias" trims to 12 o'clock. Then I'm supposed to audio probe pin 3 of IC3 and adjust the bias trim until I get delay passing, but if i'm probing that pin I never get delay passing, it's always silent. The only time I get signal and delay through the probe is when I probe the actual output itself. Considering this is my first time audio probing I could be doing it incorrectly, does anyone have some insight into what I could be doing wrong? I'll attach a photo of the build.

Tuxedo3

Ralfg

Unfortunately I'm not going to any help here. Not sure why your delay stops working. I did want to say I am having the same problem with the high pitches whine in bypass. At first I thought it was because of the road rage with the charge pump that I am using to run it at 15 volts. I had the road rage attached to the switch with some double sided tape and thought the charge pump might be interfering. But I tried removing it and putting it up against the enclosure, I still get the whine in bypass. You helped me verify that it is not the charge pump.

I havent had any time to really debug as I just noticed it too. I'm wondering if it could be a bad cap or something in the power filter? If you figure something out please update this thread. The bypass whine is pretty bad you you run a gain pedal infront of it. I'd love to get this fixed as it is a pretty sweet delay.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

Boba7

Did you try a buffered pedal in front of it? I remember mine had some noise issue, cant remember if it was the delay or the lfo (I had the mod board connected) but a simple klon buffer at the input got rid of it.

Tuxedo3

Quote from: Boba7 on August 22, 2017, 08:03:20 AM
Did you try a buffered pedal in front of it? I remember mine had some noise issue, cant remember if it was the delay or the lfo (I had the mod board connected) but a simple klon buffer at the input got rid of it.
That's a good idea, I did try my buffer before it. The weirdest part about this is that the whine goes away when the drive I had before it on my board is engaged... so that's some witchcraft.