News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DODsplosion

Started by icecycle66, August 18, 2017, 08:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Betty Wont

Thanks for sharing. My first pedals as a kid were (in order), the Supra Distortion, the Stereo Flanger, and the Meatbox. I would give anything to see a diy pcb for the meatbox. Or the buzzbox, gonkulator, vibrothang...

somnif

Quote from: icecycle66 on August 22, 2017, 08:14:59 PM
I've always been interested in playing with that delay knob on the hard rock distortion.
That's not something you see very often.

Its really strange seeing a MN3007 used as a "delay". I imagine with sub-50ms delay its more chorus-y than echo-y.

Zigcat

Quote from: somnif on August 22, 2017, 09:00:20 PM
Quote from: icecycle66 on August 22, 2017, 08:14:59 PM
I've always been interested in playing with that delay knob on the hard rock distortion.
That's not something you see very often.

Its really strange seeing a MN3007 used as a "delay". I imagine with sub-50ms delay its more chorus-y than echo-y.

It does that doubled sound that was all the rage in 1988.

mrclean77

Wowzers! I remember the ads, but a handful of those I don't remember at all. Nice collection, for sure!

icecycle66

FYI,  I got that Buzz Box before the super spike in prices.  It cost me a princly sum of $175, with box and instruction booklet.

That stupid thing is reaching Klon level prices on eBay and Reverb.
If you have one (or a meat box or a gonkulator), I'll buy it for $100.  Or you can try and sell it online for whatever crazy price someone else will buy if for.

Netnnk

I guess the Buzzbox is basically a Grunge and a Blue Box with a mix control?  It would be a nice project to trace and figure out.

culturejam

I've owned quite a few DODs over the past few years. On the dirt side, I think the Classic Fuzz is my favorite.

The FX-96 is also a great pedal and can easily be modded to do super-long repeats that sound like robots are attacking. :)

The reason there are 150 parts on a "fuzz" PCB is that DOD's input/output buffering and bypass system uses a lot of parts, and also they use op amps for pretty much all dirt/gain, AND they tend to use gyrators instead of passive filters (and that adds more op amps and R/C parts).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

somnif

Yep, Those DOD pedals have tons of parts. Mountains of them. Hundreds and thousands of parts

/cough

(sorry, couldn't resist, had it on my desk and everything)