News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What switch will all me to toggle 3 inputs to one output?

Started by Sky, August 19, 2017, 06:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sky

Hi,

For shows I usually use 3 different instruments.  I have been using this Epiphone AB box to switch between two instruments...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-A-B-Box-A-B-Selector-Switch-Pedal-2-Inputs-1-Output-NIB-New-in-Box-/112267950615

It works great, but I would like to have more inputs so I don't have to unplug and replug the third instrument into my signal chain in the middle of a show (going through the same amp works well for what I am doing).  I am pretty sure I understand how to build one of these, but I don't  know which switch to buy in order to get the job done.  I figure I could use two 3pdts together to get this to work, but I really don't want to have to have 2 switches for this type of thing.  I can't find any info on switches that would allow me to toggle between 3 or more separate inputs to an output.  Would buying a 4pdt work? Or would anyone know what type of switch would allow me to switch between the 3 inputs?   (or even 4 inputs.  It would be awesome to have the option)

-mark

kgull

So you want to switch between 3 different inputs with only one stomp switch? Only way I can envision that working is with relays and a microcontroller. Short of that, you should be able to wire up a box that can switch between up to 4 inputs with 2 stomp switches.

Zigcat

What's the issue with unplugging a guitar and pluging in a different one?

WormBoy

As @kgull said: with a footswitch you can only switch between two options, unless you want to get fancy. You can probably mod something like this to suit your purpose: http://diy.thcustom.com/shop/effect-control-v1-0-kit/ (it can be set up to cycle through the loops with one button, and the loops can be made to be multiple inputs, I guess).

Other option is to use an on-on-on toggle switch, but that would off course need to be operated with your fingers and not yer foot  8).

stringsthings

You could always use a rotary.  You'd have to switch it by hand since it's not a footswitch.
All You Need Is Love

Sky

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I really appreciate it. 

Sky

@Zigcat   .....Sometimes transitions between songs need to be quick and it takes long enough to switch the instrument itself.  Plugging in and out can look unprofessional too, but mainly I am looking to make easy transitions.    :)

Zigcat

You had better pray you don't break a string. All hell will unfold.

madbean

You could just have three buffered inputs mixed to a single output - no switch required.

WormBoy

Quote from: madbean on August 31, 2017, 04:41:54 AM
You could just have three buffered inputs mixed to a single output - no switch required.
Ah ... that's by far easiest: simply turn down the volume control on the guitars that you don't use. Plus, you could have volume pots on the 'mixer' to adjust for volume difference between the guitars (or tone controls) ...