News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BYOC Analog Delay

Started by lego4040, August 29, 2017, 11:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lego4040

This is probably the third or forth build of mine from about ten years ago. It was a challenge for me back then to build and set. It must have fell at one point cause I have had to change the dpdt switch and a have a loose connection or two so I'll need to reflow solder. It works but I have to reset all the trim pots. This was a bitch as you can see all the trims but it is a beautiful sounding Analog Delay. BYOC did this one right, it's still available and probably one of their originals when they started offering full kits.

BrianS

Yikes.  Trimmer nightmare lol. That might send me off the deep end.

somnif

Using a 3102 to run 4 other 3102s.... what an interesting set up.

culturejam

Quote from: lego4040 on August 29, 2017, 11:44:43 AM
This was a bitch as you can see all the trims but it is a beautiful sounding Analog Delay. BYOC did this one right, it's still available and probably one of their originals when they started offering full kits.

I built two of these, and honestly I didn't care for either. The CoolAudio 3205s that I had were just so noisy that I couldn't get past it.

Definitely not one of the original kits, however. The first kit delay was a PT2399, which came out around 2006 just before I started building pedals), and they had kits before that. The analog delay was in 2008, if I recall correctly.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

culturejam

Just realized my above post might have come off sort of dickly. That really wasn't my intention.  ;D

timbo_93631

But yeah, trimmers ahoy!  Building this in '08 would have been impossible for me, and I'm sure a challenge to calibrate today!

*edited lest I appear dickly as well!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Scruffie

Quote from: culturejam on August 29, 2017, 06:26:11 PM
Just realized my above post might have come off sort of dickly. That really wasn't my intention.  ;D
In all fairness, it's a really crap design, it doesn't even have pre/de-emphasis and as somnif pointed out, it takes 5 clock chips for 2 clock chips job.
Works at Lectric-FX

alanp

It's a brave designer who uses four v3205d chips in series.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

culturejam

Quote from: Scruffie on August 29, 2017, 07:47:17 PM
Quote from: culturejam on August 29, 2017, 06:26:11 PM
In all fairness, it's a really crap design, it doesn't even have pre/de-emphasis and as somnif pointed out, it takes 5 clock chips for 2 clock chips job.

Yeah well, there's that. I just thought maybe it was a bit douchey to disagree on the tone of the pedal and then correct my friend Lego on the release timeframe of the kit. I really don't like swooping in on a thread and dumping on things.  ;D

Muadzin

I've never built the BYOC analog delay, it was a bit too pricey for my taste, but I do have two of their digital delays. Not that I prefer it over the analog, but I do like the way how it colored my sound. For years I had one on my board. always on, delays almost turned down to zero, as a sort of preamp.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Scruffie on August 29, 2017, 07:47:17 PM
...it takes 5 clock chips for 2 clock chips job.

Was immediately thinking the same thing! Why 5 clocks when 2 would do the job?

madbean

Pfft. You think that's a lot of trimmers? Just look at the AD-999!

I actually have one of the BYOC delays I bought from someone years ago. I had intended to put in BL3208 in it...half the delay but overall a better sounding BBD. I should bust it out.

timbo_93631

Quote from: madbean on August 30, 2017, 06:49:51 AM
Pfft. You think that's a lot of trimmers? Just look at the AD-999!

But Brian, those are _orange_ trimmers which makes them inherently easier to calibrate.  I know because I use orange wire, the _best_ wire, and lots of it!  Pfft indeed.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Govmnt_Lacky

Keep in mind.... the BL3208 is no longer in production. Only the BL3207s are.

lego4040

culture jam, 2008 seems about right, I'm living in my new apt 8 years and I had this pedal before I moved in. It is a bit noisy and when I try to calibrate the cancel on chip one I don't hear any noise at all which is weird. On chip 2,3,4, there is a high pitch that you have to calibrate out. When I play in long delay mode its a little distorted and farty. I started with the BYOC back in the day because I didn't have to source out parts, complete noob back then. I'm not the happiest camper with this pedal the past few days and now I remember why I left it in the to fix pile. I'm gonna close it up and put it away, I guess I have to build a new one. Any recommendations? I don't want to build a PT2339, Analog would be my first choice