News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Headstock tuners

Started by jkokura, September 04, 2011, 05:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

I have recently stopped including a pedal tuner on my pedal boards. I have a TU-12 I carry with me and my guitars tend to stay in tune, but I was thinking about getting one of those headstock electronic tuners to use.

Anyone have one they love? Anyone have one the don't like? I don't like spending lots of money on things like that, but if you have a good one I'd consider paying for something that came highly recommended.

Oh, and I'd like one that could easily be switched from guitar to guitar, like a capo or something like that. If it's a lot of work to install and/or remove, then that's probably going to be out for me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

chip46

I've always been a floor tuner kind of guy but I recently saw this one from Planet Waves, coming soon. Looks really cool and is even easy to use on Tele's. I might pick one or two up when they come out.

http://store.daddario.com/category/466275/NS_Mini_Headstock_Tuner

jkokura

Quote from: chip46 on September 04, 2011, 06:11:14 AM
I've always been a floor tuner kind of guy but I recently saw this one from Planet Waves, coming soon. Looks really cool and is even easy to use on Tele's. I might pick one or two up when they come out.

Chip! This is exactly why threads like this rock! I really find that one promising, but since it's untested we'll have to see whether it's actually accurate...

Anyone else have a suggestion I should look at?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

gtr2

Jacob,

I've got this one http://store.daddario.com/category/152540/Headstock_Tuner

It works much better than I thought it would!  I got mine in a sale for $20 US.  The only drawback is it is harder to tune if there are other instruments playing "loudly" while you tune.  I still have tuner on my board but I use this when I travel light.  :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

snz728

I bought a SNARK tuner (really cheap $$) and am amazed at the accuracy and loved how i could tune up when not plugged in or if people were talking but I never tried it when other people were playing loud.  I imagine it would pick up their vibrations.  Wish they had them when I was younger and always out of tune :D

jimmybjj

I Love my tuner absolutely awesome! I had it for 2 years and never looked back.

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/  
check reviews on other sites, this thing is great.

Edit: I guess i should start reading more thoroughly  ;D you said headstock tuner, sorry  :)
Pcbs no longer available

Haberdasher

Quote from: snz728 on September 04, 2011, 01:34:10 PM
I bought a SNARK tuner (really cheap $$) and am amazed at the accuracy and loved how i could tune up when not plugged in or if people were talking but I never tried it when other people were playing loud.  I imagine it would pick up their vibrations.  Wish they had them when I was younger and always out of tune :D
Thanks, I think this is the one I'm going to try. 
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

dwstanford

I have one of the intellitouch tuners (not sure which model, but i think its the cheapest one.).  I dont really like it, but i think its because it doesnt give a readout of the cents and semitones.  I prefer tuners that tell me exactly how many cents the note is.  I like to do alternate tunings, and in general I like to tune my g string a bit flat for better intonation when im playing rhythm with alot of barre chords.  Thats really just to appease my ocd, though.  The tuner really does function well, but the functions are quite basic.

jkokura

I bought a SNARK tuner (really cheap $$)

Wow, those things look like kid's toys! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that one.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

slimtriggers

I've had one for about a year and I love it!  Got it for about $10 at Amazon.   I have a Planet Waves Tru Strobe tuner that gathers dust now :)

jkokura

Quote from: chip46 on September 04, 2011, 06:11:14 AM

Pulled a trigger and ordered a couple of these through eBay tonight. Don't know when they'll arrive, but I'll do a workup on it. I'm stoked, because I think this may be the only headstock tuner I know of that will work on my Parker's headstock.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

jubal81

It's a floor tuner, but I have to say how much I love my the electronic Polytune.

I'd avoided floor tuners all my life but this makes tuning so easy and fast I can't imagine using anything else now.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

TNblueshawk

I've had a Korg headstock, like a capo, for years. I will never part with it and might will it to someone too. The Snark is loved by a bunch of folks over at BYOC. There was a thread about it a few weeks ago and everyone who had one raved about it. I think it was just $10 if I recall right.
John

Haberdasher

I just bought a snark on ebay from a seller in Utah.  $13.89 delivered.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

Quote from: jubal81 on September 26, 2011, 01:56:57 PM
It's a floor tuner, but I have to say how much I love my the electronic Polytune.

I'd avoided floor tuners all my life but this makes tuning so easy and fast I can't imagine using anything else now.

There are times I play without pedals (I know, a shock right?). The need for a tuner that doesn't require a cord is pretty typical, and when you are working on a bench doing a setup job it sucks to have to pull out a cord.

Then again, I run multiple pedal boards for different purposes. I don't have room on any of them for a tuner, nor do I want to buy three more pedal tuners and stick them on each of my boards.

For the record, I do have a TU-2 that's on my acoustic board. I use it as a mute because my acoustic has no volume knob. I also have a TU-12ex that I often use tuning before playing. I hope these tuners will be as easy to use, as accurate, and will be more efficient because they can 'live' on my guitars. 

I looked at the snark seriously. It won't work with my Parker because of the headstock shape. It also looks cartoony to me, and I wanted something much lower profile for being on stage and traveling and such. The NS mini fits the bill perfectly, as long as it turns out to be easy and accurate.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*