SOLVED! 2016 AquaBoy with Aqua Puss mk1 values | Can't dial feedback to 1 repeat

Started by prosboarder, August 30, 2017, 04:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prosboarder

Hello! My 2016 AquaBoy with Aqua Puss values does indeed provide really nice delays as it should. My only problem is I'm trying to figure out if I should be able to achieve a single repeat with the feedback all the way down. With the feedback dial all the way down, I hear about 5 repeats. I can dial up the repeats fine which sends the pedal into oscillation pretty easily too because of this. I double checked wiring, double checked pot values, triple checked calibration, values seem to be correct.. for IC's I'm using:

OnSemiconductor NE570D (using a SMD to DIP converter)
Xvive MN3005 from Small Bear
MN3101 from small bear

I simply followed the instruction for AquaPuss values
"- To build the original Way Huge® Aquapuss™ on the Aquaboy board
Add a 470pF cap in parallel with R1
Make R6, R7, R8 and R10 47.5k instead of 47k
C14 100n instead of 82n
C2, C16, C23 and C7 10uF instead of 1uF "

I swapped the NE570 with a SA571 with no difference. Anything else that I should check and/or is this expected behavior? Thanks for the help in advance!

madbean

The feedback pot is grounded when turned all the way down which is what allows for a single repeat. So you possibly have a bad solder joint on pin1 of the pot or something is amiss in the pot itself. I would reflow the solder joints on that pot first. If it still has the same behavior you may need to remove the pot altogether and replace it. If you do remove the pot, be sure to check again before replacing that you have only one repeat. If you still get multiple repeats with the pot removed then you have something else going on...possibly a solder bridge or some other issue.

None of the value changes you made are an issue.

prosboarder

Thanks so much! Good thing I soldered leads to the pot for easy removal for such things as this. I'll be able to check tonight and report back.

prosboarder

I got it!!!! Silly me I misinterpreted the wiring diagram so I had the in/out jacks reversed. I will forever check my continuity between ground and the in/out jacks. Thanks again for the quick feedback and I'm really happy with my build and the quality of the PCB. Sound wise, I was pleasantly surprised how much more bottom end passes through the MK1 vs the MK2 I compared it to. The extra delay time is nice as well. Case closed!