News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Patreon Support

Started by madbean, September 02, 2017, 07:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

I just received my last Patreon board.  I got a Dragon and it came with the enclosure and a pair of dual pots.  I did send him a very gracious thank you note.  I hope this one goes together OK, the Tiger is in the pile o' fail but I'll get back to it.

I'm quite disappointed with the whole Patreon experience but again, only from the standpoint that I didn't get to tap into the knowledge of the man.  I was really looking forward to following the man's thought process.

Having over-committed to stuff before I totally get his problems.  Then factor in running a job, a business, and a new home.  I wished him all the success he deserves.

Funny part is that there are a whole herd of equally amazing rocket surgeons in these parts (the guy running this joint is a prime example) and I'd be doing a great disservice to everyone to put Peter above any of them.  I find myself being a bit of a sponge just trying to absorb the little nuggets of knowledge that get fired off at random here.

Having said that... Bean, maybe you pick up where this leaves off?  Seriously, in terms of a subscription service it's a revenue stream for you and you document how you think thru a project and then rather than just buy a board we up the ante with paying for the process attached to it.  I know I'd commit in a heartbeat.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

Quote from: gordo on March 30, 2018, 06:55:17 PM
Having said that... Bean, maybe you pick up where this leaves off?  Seriously, in terms of a subscription service it's a revenue stream for you and you document how you think thru a project and then rather than just buy a board we up the ante with paying for the process attached to it.  I know I'd commit in a heartbeat.

Actually, I have been kicking around that idea for several months - a complete video tutorial course on pedal building from concept - breadboard - Eagle design - prototype all the way up to releasing a commercial pedal. But, I'd probably just release the whole thing free. Or, maybe a small Kickstarter with the finished PCB or kit for some support (with the course material still being free). I'd kinda like to do it but it's a serious commitment. Maybe, though!

sonnyboy27

Quote from: madbean on April 02, 2018, 05:19:54 PM
Quote from: gordo on March 30, 2018, 06:55:17 PM

Actually, I have been kicking around that idea for several months - a complete video tutorial course on pedal building from concept - breadboard - Eagle design - prototype all the way up to releasing a commercial pedal. But, I'd probably just release the whole thing free. Or, maybe a small Kickstarter with the finished PCB or kit for some support (with the course material still being free). I'd kinda like to do it but it's a serious commitment. Maybe, though!

That sounds amazing. Count me in whenever/if this happens.

gordo

On the new boards there are "OSC", "x2", and "x3" pads.  I'm back tracking thru Patreon docs but any idea what those are?
Gordy Power

Ralfg

Quote from: gordo on April 04, 2018, 09:52:48 AM
On the new boards there are "OSC", "x2", and "x3" pads.  I'm back tracking thru Patreon docs but any idea what those are?

I bought a Standout from him a while back with a charge pump, looks like the charge pump is on another board hooked up right underneath to these pads.  So I assume these are only for split rail or charge pump additions to the board.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

Ralfg

Quote from: somnif on March 24, 2018, 11:13:05 PM
I was also told that the tiger board "requires a modification", but didn't hear any more than that. He said he would do the mod to the boards he was sending out, but thats the last I heard on the issue.

I got a Tiger board from his a bit ago where he did the mod.  So it looks like he added a 200k trim pot lug 2 to the 33k resistor location.  Lug 1 connects to the a 47k resistor into the 33k spot.  Then lug 1 has this carbon film looking thing with a single black band that connects to the 220k spot.  No idea what this is. 

I tried to get a good picture but no dice.. here is the blurry crap I took.

Haven't had time to build it so no idea what it does.

m-Kresol

I have no idea about the circuit or the board, but the resistor with the single black band should be a 0 Ohm resistor, ie. a jumper for easier wiring. Just a guess though
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

gordo

That's interesting, I've never seen an actual 0 ohm component before. Thanks for the update ralfg I'll dig the board out tomorrow and see if it makes sense.
Gordy Power

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on April 02, 2018, 05:19:54 PM
But, I'd probably just release the whole thing free.

Don't you dare!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gordo

The Dragon is going into the box of fail as well.  Has ANYONE had any luck getting one of these turds together?  I get effect although some settings produce a gated/glitchy decay.  It has the same problem as the Tiger...bypass LED works but bypass doesn't.  Relay clicked once and seems locked in effect mode.  Maybe the chips are bad?

I think I need to step away from these boards for a while and come back some day.
Gordy Power

madbean

Quote from: gordo on April 15, 2018, 03:57:32 PM
The Dragon is going into the box of fail as well.  Has ANYONE had any luck getting one of these turds together?  I get effect although some settings produce a gated/glitchy decay.  It has the same problem as the Tiger...bypass LED works but bypass doesn't.  Relay clicked once and seems locked in effect mode.  Maybe the chips are bad?

I think I need to step away from these boards for a while and come back some day.

If you want to start a dedicated thread for your builds and upload some pics I'd be happy to take a look at it.

gordo

Crap.  Now that I've calmed down I realize that the switching is changed with the new boards.  "Live" I think they're called.

The relay is a different one than the VFE switching board ("Working" I think they're called).  I think the difference is that the new boards don't support batteries so to simplify the circuit and reduce parts count the TQ2-5V relay is used instead of the TQ2-L-5V.  If I read the data sheet right it's a non-latching coil.

I totally missed that.  So I guess I need to order a few relays and walk back my "turd" comment.  The Dragon is socketed so shouldn't be a big deal but the Tiger isn't and I can image it's going to be a challenge to get all ten pins to let go :-)
Gordy Power

gordo

Maybe I'll even man up and draw up the mods to the Tiger board based on the Eagle files (which has the mods).
Gordy Power

Ralfg

Good find on the TQ2-5v! I have the same problem with my Monarch build. That didn't even remotely cross my mind, thanks for that. My Tiger schematic does not have the mod, wonder if my files are old. Does yours include the Dragon files? I never got those either.

gordo

Mine's from the November files under overdrive (Dragon) and compressor (Tiger).  The Tiger has a trim pot beside the relay in this version.  The earlier version (October maybe?) has the board we have.

Dammit, maybe he's teaching me something after all...
Gordy Power