News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Roknfnrol demos my pickups. Again!!!

Started by timbo_93631, September 02, 2017, 06:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo_93631

Full circle.  I got into pickup winding because of Mike Nix' (Roknfnrol) demo of Mick Manlius' Broadcaster pickups.  I was just blown away, and kept building and selling pedals to get enough extra dough together to get a set but ended up using that money on bills/kids/life instead time and time again.  So I decided to build a winder, literally a drill strapped to a board (Cody will remember this!) and I wound some pickups, and some more, and some more, and then I sold some, and some more, and some more, and some more!  Then I built a better winder (hello accurate turns counter!) and really hit my stride, being able to repeat a set to the same spec very accurately.  That was a huge step forward.  Fast forward to today.  Mike requested a set for review, I was happy to send him some, and now things have come around full circle.  Enjoy his chops, cause they are wayyyyy better than mine!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Adam_DIY

Wow they sound great.  What was the spec on that set?

zombie_rock123

Hot damn they sound amazing. And yeah if I made something that sounded that good Id want him demoing it.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

timbo_93631

Quote from: Adam_MD on September 03, 2017, 01:30:20 AM
Wow they sound great.  What was the spec on that set?
That was a 23T neck pickup and a hot HempCaster bridge:
Neck - Alnico 2 on EAD, Alnico 3 on GBe, north-up, cw coill wound to ~7k5 with 43awg Plain Enamel wire, and a thin raw nickel silver cover.

Bridge - Alnico 3, south up ccw coil, wound to 11k with 43awg Plain Enamel wire, raw steel baseplate and natural hemp string wrap.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Adam_DIY

Nice I have a few pickup sets which mix alnico magnets across the strings.  I'll have to check out your range do you have a site?

timbo_93631

Quote from: Adam_MD on September 03, 2017, 04:00:00 AM
Nice I have a few pickup sets which mix alnico magnets across the strings.  I'll have to check out your range do you have a site?

I have a shop on Reverb.com: https://reverb.com/shop/sunday-handwired-amps-and-effects and a Blogspot page where you can see things I have built in the past at sundayamps.blogspot.com. If you use Instagram you can follow my latest work: sundayhandwound, I also post builds for beans in the guitar building subforum here.

RE mixed magnets, to me it's all about getting a good balance across the strings, you can do that by staggering the poles, mixing magnets, and gauss levels.  Staggering and mixing are the most repeatable in terms of consistency, and as most of what I wind is flat pole Jazzmaster and Tele I've put a lot of time into developing my mixed sets to get that balance. Thanks for the nice word beans.  Still super excited about this demo!
Sunday Handwound Pickups

pickdropper

That is very very cool, Tim.  Congrats on all the success.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

diablochris6

Every pickup I've bought from you is worth its weight in gold. Glad to see you gaining some appreciation for your fine builds.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

mjcyates

Very cool! Mr. Nix is a fellow Louisvillian. Your pickups sound great!

Rockhorst

Cool man. The set you wound for my Strat is still one of the best I've ever heard. Such a nice sound, full yet articulate and very responsive.

selfdestroyer

I can't speak highly enough about the pickups Timbo put in my MIJ Jazzmaster. They are the bees knees!

Cody

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

timbo_93631

It is always a good day when the demo drops! 
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jimilee

1. That dude looks huge.
2. Just when I start feeling good about my guitar playing, it turns out I'm not.
3. I am working on a deal for a Vintage VB52 =, it's got these pickups written all over it. I'll contact you the minute it happens.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.