Author Topic: My last Moodring (hacked BTDR2 inside) + a Really cheap compressor  (Read 808 times)

Boba7

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
Re: My last Moodring (hacked BTDR2 inside) + a Really cheap compressor
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 05:37:53 AM »
Thanks for the Schem. I think I'll try to jam a Chasm Reverb in a 1590a, at least in the long run...a lot on my workbench right now :(

I don't think the schematic is verified though, so you may want to breadboard it first! (and search DIYSB, I'm pretty sure someone over there cloned a BTDR2)

mrclean77

• Stompbox Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 05:24:50 AM »
This is DIY at its finest. I love how much you modded the Moodring and really catered it to your wants/needs.

The Belton brick mod sounds interesting. Do you have any more info you can provide on this mod?

Cody

Couldn't agree more. This is why I'm very humble about describing myself as a DIY'er. This guy's over here cracking open (then successfully modding) Belton bricks...I mean, DANG!

Boba7

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 06:33:20 AM »
This is DIY at its finest. I love how much you modded the Moodring and really catered it to your wants/needs.

The Belton brick mod sounds interesting. Do you have any more info you can provide on this mod?

Cody

Couldn't agree more. This is why I'm very humble about describing myself as a DIY'er. This guy's over here cracking open (then successfully modding) Belton bricks...I mean, DANG!

Ha ha thanks guys! It was really not complicated, and I took the idea from either here or DIYSB, so... :D

Dminner

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 07:56:10 AM »
I want to own everything you make.  I love the totally minimalist outside appearance of them.

Boba7

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 03:04:48 AM »
I want to own everything you make.  I love the totally minimalist outside appearance of them.

Thanks!! Means a lot as I'm always blown away by your work!! :)

Luke51411

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »
I managed to get apart a brick, from zooming in on your pic it looks like R27 is removed is that correct?

Boba7

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »
I managed to get apart a brick, from zooming in on your pic it looks like R27 is removed is that correct?
Yes, R27 is the resistor that connects pin6 of the 3rd pt2399 in the brick to thr lfo, so if you get rid of it, no more modulation! :)

Coda-effects

• Stompbox Star
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 12:22:51 PM »
On the schematics you can see a 220k going from pin 6 of the middle PT2399 to the oscillator. If you take the 220k out there's no more lfo, no more modulation. As simple as that. It's labelled R27 on the Btdr2 I used, you can see it on the bottom left of the pcb on the gut shot.
I also took out R28 (1st 10k at the input) to cancel the lowpass filtering at the input of the brick (gut shot: 3rd pin is the input, it goes to C2 then to R28 and another cap to ground)

Really interesting!
How did you manage to open the brick? I thought that all the components were embedded in goop...

somnif

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 01:41:26 PM »
Really interesting!
How did you manage to open the brick? I thought that all the components were embedded in goop...

Apparently only the 1st gen bricks were gooped. We all just assumed after that point. We've been fools!

Boba7

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 02:13:42 AM »
Really interesting!

Apparently only the 1st gen bricks were gooped. We all just assumed after that point. We've been fools!

Yep, it's not goop, it's just some sort of plastic/resin that doesn't stick to the components too much. It's really not that complicated to take it apart.

Luke51411

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 05:18:14 AM »
Not bad at all to take apart. I was overly cautious when I took it apart but it seems pretty sturdy. Even if I don't decide to mod it, it will be nice how much less space it takes

peAk

• Electron Doctor
  • Justin - Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 06:40:23 AM »
Much Awesomeness Here

Bret608

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 07:49:59 AM »
That Moodring! Awesome builds. You are a wildman!

Boba7

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 01:13:17 PM »
Thanks guys! :)

Not bad at all to take apart. I was overly cautious when I took it apart but it seems pretty sturdy. Even if I don't decide to mod it, it will be nice how much less space it takes

oh yeah definitely, it's so thin without the plastic case!