News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My last Moodring (hacked BTDR2 inside) + a Really cheap compressor

Started by Boba7, September 03, 2017, 06:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boba7

Quote from: Andlord on September 04, 2017, 03:50:57 AM
Thanks for the Schem. I think I'll try to jam a Chasm Reverb in a 1590a, at least in the long run...a lot on my workbench right now :(

I don't think the schematic is verified though, so you may want to breadboard it first! (and search DIYSB, I'm pretty sure someone over there cloned a BTDR2)

mrclean77

Quote from: selfdestroyer on September 03, 2017, 10:08:01 PM
This is DIY at its finest. I love how much you modded the Moodring and really catered it to your wants/needs.

The Belton brick mod sounds interesting. Do you have any more info you can provide on this mod?

Cody

Couldn't agree more. This is why I'm very humble about describing myself as a DIY'er. This guy's over here cracking open (then successfully modding) Belton bricks...I mean, DANG!

Boba7

Quote from: mrclean77 on September 05, 2017, 04:24:50 AM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on September 03, 2017, 10:08:01 PM
This is DIY at its finest. I love how much you modded the Moodring and really catered it to your wants/needs.

The Belton brick mod sounds interesting. Do you have any more info you can provide on this mod?

Cody

Couldn't agree more. This is why I'm very humble about describing myself as a DIY'er. This guy's over here cracking open (then successfully modding) Belton bricks...I mean, DANG!

Ha ha thanks guys! It was really not complicated, and I took the idea from either here or DIYSB, so... :D

Dminner

I want to own everything you make.  I love the totally minimalist outside appearance of them.

Boba7

Quote from: Dminner on September 06, 2017, 06:56:10 AM
I want to own everything you make.  I love the totally minimalist outside appearance of them.

Thanks!! Means a lot as I'm always blown away by your work!! :)

Luke51411

I managed to get apart a brick, from zooming in on your pic it looks like R27 is removed is that correct?

Boba7

Quote from: Luke51411 on September 15, 2017, 06:32:18 PM
I managed to get apart a brick, from zooming in on your pic it looks like R27 is removed is that correct?
Yes, R27 is the resistor that connects pin6 of the 3rd pt2399 in the brick to thr lfo, so if you get rid of it, no more modulation! :)

Coda-effects

QuoteOn the schematics you can see a 220k going from pin 6 of the middle PT2399 to the oscillator. If you take the 220k out there's no more lfo, no more modulation. As simple as that. It's labelled R27 on the Btdr2 I used, you can see it on the bottom left of the pcb on the gut shot.
I also took out R28 (1st 10k at the input) to cancel the lowpass filtering at the input of the brick (gut shot: 3rd pin is the input, it goes to C2 then to R28 and another cap to ground)

Really interesting!
How did you manage to open the brick? I thought that all the components were embedded in goop...

somnif

Quote from: Coda-effects on September 17, 2017, 11:22:51 AM
Really interesting!
How did you manage to open the brick? I thought that all the components were embedded in goop...

Apparently only the 1st gen bricks were gooped. We all just assumed after that point. We've been fools!

Boba7

Quote from: somnif on September 17, 2017, 12:41:26 PM
Quote from: Coda-effects on September 17, 2017, 11:22:51 AM
Really interesting!

Apparently only the 1st gen bricks were gooped. We all just assumed after that point. We've been fools!

Yep, it's not goop, it's just some sort of plastic/resin that doesn't stick to the components too much. It's really not that complicated to take it apart.

Luke51411

Not bad at all to take apart. I was overly cautious when I took it apart but it seems pretty sturdy. Even if I don't decide to mod it, it will be nice how much less space it takes

peAk

Bret608

Boba7

Thanks guys! :)

Quote from: Luke51411 on September 18, 2017, 04:18:14 AM
Not bad at all to take apart. I was overly cautious when I took it apart but it seems pretty sturdy. Even if I don't decide to mod it, it will be nice how much less space it takes

oh yeah definitely, it's so thin without the plastic case!

senoravocado

Just to let everyone know, I was making a ping reverb and wanted to see if I could take apart the BTDR3 to make it a little bit smaller, and it was definitely gooped. I was able to get the outer plastic casing off, but then all that was left was this hard epoxy brick, which would probably be very time consuming to take apart without bricking the brick.