News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cool patching pedal concept....

Started by peAk, October 06, 2017, 09:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

http://www.boredbrainmusic.com/

So I have one of these hex enclosures laying around and stumbled upon this. I like the idea of the 1/8" patch cables to keep everything clean/small on top. I have typical rackmount patchbays but they are not as portable and convenient of something like this. 

I think I will build it, mainly for synth stuff but may use it for my guitar stuff as well. I think I would add a switch to disable the output for when you are patching to avoid typical pops and noise. 

BrianS

Leevibe

That is:

- a fun take on signal routing
- my favorite use to date of the octagonal enclosure
- nice looking, right down to the 1/4 jack nuts all being lined up
- maybe something to put in the build cue. Possibly in a 1590DD

bcalla

This is very cool.  I noticed this in the FAQ:

Is the Patchulator 8000 balanced/stereo or unbalanced/mono?

It is a balanced/stereo patchbay, meaning that all jacks and the mini patch cables are TRS.  You can certainly use it to patch mono signals, which is the most common scenario, just be sure to use mono TS 1/4-inch cables to connect to your gear. Note: Some older units are mono TS only. If you are unsure about yours, open the unit. Circuit boards inside indicates it is TRS stereo capable, hand-wiring is TS mono only.

Do you think the circuit board is there just to make assembly / wiring easier, or is there something else going on?

peAk

Quote from: bcalla on October 07, 2017, 07:09:03 AM
This is very cool.  I noticed this in the FAQ:

Is the Patchulator 8000 balanced/stereo or unbalanced/mono?

It is a balanced/stereo patchbay, meaning that all jacks and the mini patch cables are TRS.  You can certainly use it to patch mono signals, which is the most common scenario, just be sure to use mono TS 1/4-inch cables to connect to your gear. Note: Some older units are mono TS only. If you are unsure about yours, open the unit. Circuit boards inside indicates it is TRS stereo capable, hand-wiring is TS mono only.

Do you think the circuit board is there just to make assembly / wiring easier, or is there something else going on?

I was curious about this as well. If I make it, I will just make it with mono TS connections since everything I would be using it with would be mono TS connections anyway.

matmosphere

I have a friend who got one a few years back. I'll see if he'll pop if the back and send me a pic.