News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Liquid Mercury Problem. Too Subtle

Started by jambforthelamb, September 07, 2017, 07:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jambforthelamb

Hey All,
Recently just finished up a Liquid Mercury Phaser. Everything seems to be working control wise etc, but the phasing is pretty subtle compared to the demo videos, even at the more extreme settings and the bias nearly cranked. It almost sounds more like a modulated filter than a phase if that makes any sense. I used the Small Bear XVive VTL5C3 work-alike photocouplers, so I'm hoping that isn't the issue since they are 6 bucks a piece  :P. Not sure where to start with this one since everything else seems to be working, so any help/guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
-Kevin

jambforthelamb

Also, I forgot to mention this built on the older 2 pcb sandwich set. Thanks!

Martan

Sorry you are having troubles. Can you post pics?

Marty

Andlord

Have you mesured the resistance of your work-alikes before putting them in? Makes a huge difference what resistance it has with light and in the dark. I know they are not cheap but maybe you can find a diy photocopler/led+ldr that works better

Like Marty said, pics would be nice

jambforthelamb

Here is the top side. I can pull it apart and take a photo of the bottom if needed, but that section is only for the taplfo stuff correct? Also the two halves are joined, so I hope to not have to separate them  :'(

I admittedly didn't measure them first. I took the foolish gamble, and ass u me'd that these would work since they're the fancy ones.

Thanks!
-Kevin

chordball

Unless I've missed something with the different versions of this circuit, the vactrols are indeed the problem. Not that the xvive ones are not good clones, but rather that you have the wrong part there altogether. You need the VTL5C3/2 instead of the regular VTL5C3.

jambforthelamb

Ah, I made the mistake of thinking that VTL5C3/2 meant that there was a 3 and 2 version, and that either would work, so now I know that it's a full part number  ::).
I'll start researching what LDR combos have worked for everyone, as I now see that the correct part is 15 dollars a piece, yikes!
Thanks for the help.
-Kevin

Martan

Oh yeah. I missed that. Should have three leads on the LDR side of those.

chordball

Glad to help, but sorry it was a bit of bad news.

Martan

Maybe someone has rigged up two LDRs and an LED in place of each vactrol to make this?

I built with the real ones. For what it's worth, if you are sure you like phasers, this is a GREAT one.

Marty

jambforthelamb

I found a thread where m-Kresol used Tayda LDRs and green diffused LEDs, so that's likely the route I will go. Thanks for the help everyone, and having patience with my errors.
-Kevin

bsoncini

I did the same thing with green LEDs and it works well.

cresconio

Definitely worth to get those vactrols. I just finished mine last week and it sounds superb. I used the XVive ones as well and I think they do the job quite well.

chordball

Quote from: cresconio on September 08, 2017, 01:53:13 PM
Definitely worth to get those vactrols. I just finished mine last week and it sounds superb. I used the XVive ones as well and I think they do the job quite well.

Have you tried both options? Curious because I have a phasor II pcb and I will need to decide which way to go with it.