News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Paint ripping off

Started by cresconio, September 08, 2017, 01:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cresconio

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has posted before but I couldn't find it. I spray paint most of my enclosures and apply a couple of layers of clear coat before I finish everything up. On my pedalboard I use velcro that sticks pretty well. Unfortunately, when ripping off (very gently) the velcro from the pedals, I tend to rip off some paint from the enclosure as well.

Is it just a matter of applying more layers of clear coat? Any other ideas?

jimilee

I'd say the only thing that wouldn't rip off would be if you powder coated them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

chordball

Do you sand the enclosure, apply self-etching primer, sand between coats, and allow sufficient time to dry before applying velcro? I've never actually tried to pul off velcro after I attach it so that may happen even if you follow the right paint procedure.

Zigcat

Put good quality masking tape on the bottom plate before sticking on the velcro tape. Then it all peels off when you want to.

Soup39

Don't spray the back plate keep it raw.  No ones ever going to see it anyway. ;D

davent

I've always used black, rubberized rocker panel paint for the back plate, i wonder if it's more duarable, never had it chip or show any damage. Like the idea of masking tape before the velcro tape.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

devilsnight

I'd agree with jimilee, Spray paint seems to take forever to bond and cure. 

kgull

Quote from: Zigcat on September 08, 2017, 07:33:36 PM
Put good quality masking tape on the bottom plate before sticking on the velcro tape. Then it all peels off when you want to.
+1
Good tape sticks fine and peels off clean.