News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Switch between 2 inputs and 1 output.

Started by Tuxedo3, September 10, 2017, 09:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxedo3

Hey guys,
A friend of mine asked me to build him a utility pedal and I wanted to run it by you folks (who are much smarter than I) to idiot check me, and maybe see if I overlooked something that could be improved.

Here's the explanation, sorry I know it will be lengthy:
My friend plays upright and electric bass and want's to use the same pedalboard for both. His electric bass has active pickups so it's naturally a hotter signal than the passive pickup on his upright. He asked me to build him an A/B pedal that has 2 inputs and 1 output. This way he could plug both instruments into the pedal and toggle between them with a footswitch (easy enough). He also wants a boost on either channel with independent level controls because, as I said before, his electric bass is louder than his upright. My plan is this, have 2 inputs that both go to a 4pdt first (I'll explain why), when Channel 1 is engaged it is routed to channel 1 on the circuit board which has a buffer and boost, then to the output and the other input is grounded, and vise versa. The reason I think I need a 4pdt is because I need to control 2 inputs, AND 2 LEDs (I've included a little diagram of how I think I would wired it up). I see this being beneficial for some of my friends who play acoustic and electric and need to control independent levels.

Here are my questions for you:
   1. How does my solution seem? Where are the issues?
   2. Is there a more efficient way to wire up a switch?
   3. Will there be a loud pop when changing inputs even with a pulldown resistor (I tried to low the chances of this by sending the inputs to the switch before it goes to the active circuit)

Related, but less-important question: Do any of you have experience using Neutrik locking jacks on pedals? (I'll be using a 1590BBT). Thanks for all the answers in advance.

WormBoy

You can use a 3pdt; you don't need two poles for the two LEDs. Put the ground on the middle lug and the LED- for each on each side. That way, either LED1 or LED2 is engaged. If you make sure that the input of the board is grounded when the other one is used (just as you would wire a 3pdt in a regular pedal), I would not expect much poppin'. The only other issue is to be careful how to combine both board outputs in a way that they don't interfere with each other.

Tuxedo3

Quote from: WormBoy on September 10, 2017, 09:52:21 AM
You can use a 3pdt; you don't need two poles for the two LEDs. Put the ground on the middle lug and the LED- for each on each side. That way, either LED1 or LED2 is engaged.
... of course. Totally missed that. Thanks so much for the insight.