News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Plagiarism at it's best

Started by lars, September 10, 2017, 09:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

I stumbled onto this listing on eBay, and the item's description sounded very familiar:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Immigrant-Tone-Bender-MKII-Pro-sola-sound-mkII-pro-replica-/253132776645?hash=item3aefe3a4c5:g:J78AAOSwB09YDTEe
It's a word-for-word copy from the FuzzCentral website here:
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/mkII.php
I know people lift/cut/paste descriptions from other sites onto eBay all the time, but this one seemed particularly "plagiarific" (unless of course Phillip Bryant, who runs Fuzz Central, is from the Ukraine, which I don't think so). He has a disclaimer at the bottom of his site that says, "No portion of this site is to be reproduced without prior written consent."
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Muadzin

Well, you can put that disclaimer on for legal reasons, and it probably helps if things ever get before a court, it doesn't mean others still won't exploit it, or that the law can always do something about it. I daresay that most crimes go unpunished because the police cannot be everywhere. 

mrclean77

If I'm buying a nearly $200 fuzz box, I don't wanna waste my time with pics of the insides, gimme 92 slightly different angles of the outside

WormBoy

Quote from: mrclean77 on September 11, 2017, 04:30:03 AM
If I'm buying a nearly $200 fuzz box, I don't wanna waste my time with pics of the insides, gimme 92 slightly different angles of the outside

Including shipping, it will be more than 200 dollar (and then there's import taxes ...?). Yeah, the outside, that's what counts! Nobody interested in gut shots anyways, apart from some electronics nerds that'll build their own version for a fraction of that price anyway :o ... Love his tranny tester though.

pickdropper

Yeah, I thought the lack of inside photos was odd.  With some pedals it wouldn't matter, but folks tend to care about that with ToneBenders.

Nice looking pedal from the outside, though.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lars

LOL. I just found another one of these on Reverb.com, and sure enough, the same exact description that was lifted off FuzzCentral!
https://reverb.com/item/2788162-immigrant-tone-bender-mkii-pro-2016
I did find a gut shot of these. They do sound great in the demo, but the build might not be very gig-worthy. Seriously though, somebody over there needs to lift up their fingers and type out their own description!
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

juansolo

Quote from: pickdropper on September 11, 2017, 04:49:30 AM

Yeah, I thought the lack of inside photos was odd.  With some pedals it wouldn't matter, but folks tend to care about that with ToneBenders.

I've no idea why. The best sounding TBM2s I've made were a 1590A on a PCB with random trannies, and a non-tarty russian tranny one on vero. The full DAM-clone job I did looked the part (OC81's, carbon comps and axials) but in all honesty, I prefer the sound of the others. Hard to believe that all that mojo didn't make it super awesome... :o
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Betty Wont

Quote from: juansolo on September 11, 2017, 12:34:52 PM

I've no idea why. The best sounding TBM2s I've made were a 1590A on a PCB with random trannies, and a non-tarty russian tranny one on vero. The full DAM-clone job I did looked the part (OC81's, carbon comps and axials) but in all honesty, I prefer the sound of the others. Hard to believe that all that mojo didn't make it super awesome... :o
The mojo is in the tayda trimpot.

pickdropper

I just want to know what a "non-tarty russian tranny" is.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on September 11, 2017, 02:26:47 PM

Her name is Ivan.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

Quote from: pickdropper on September 11, 2017, 02:26:47 PM

A bit classier than a tarty russian tranny ;)

mrclean77

There are plenty of folks who don't do gut shots - it just catches my eye when there's no guts but SO MANY pics of the outside --- I don't even mean in a fishy way, it's just something I notice.....I'm sure it's not from being part of online forums/groups where WE WANT GUT SHOTS is echoes frequently, lol

juansolo

Anyone who's not prepared to show their guts when asked usually has something to hide. Either shoddy build or something in there that shouldn't be in there...

movinginslomo

Ukraine? Maybe they don't have a full grasp of the US language and find it easier to just copypasta an english description. "Probably says enough in English"