News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

10v capacitor in a 16v spot?

Started by elenore19, September 17, 2017, 08:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elenore19

All the projects seem to say 16v minimum on the capacitors.
Can I get away with putting two 10V electros in a pedal? (100uf value, Mandroid project)

pickdropper

It depends on how much voltage is on the cap at that point in the circuit.  If it's in the power supply and they are seeing 9V, it's not a good idea.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

elenore19

How do I find out if that's the case? Or is it not worth the risk in general.

WormBoy

Quote from: elenore19 on September 17, 2017, 08:30:57 PM
All the projects seem to say 16v minimum on the capacitors.
Can I get away with putting two 10V electros in a pedal? (100uf value, Mandroid project)
Are you talking about C10 and C11 in the Mandroid? Those two only see a maximum of 3.6V each: the 9V is used in a split manner (it's a bit non-standard, check out the schematic), and the Zener diodes should limit what each cap gets to 3.6V max. So, 10V should be sufficient margin of safety.

elenore19

Quote from: WormBoy on September 18, 2017, 02:12:29 AM
Are you talking about C10 and C11 in the Mandroid? Those two only see a maximum of 3.6V each: the 9V is used in a split manner (it's a bit non-standard, check out the schematic), and the Zener diodes should limit what each cap gets to 3.6V max. So, 10V should be sufficient margin of safety.
Those were the caps I was talking about. Thanks a bunch for the info, hopefully someday I can get the knowledge of figuring that out by myself.

Thanks again!